GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Blossom on fruit trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/60811-blossom-fruit-trees.html)

Terry B 07-05-2004 05:10 PM

Blossom on fruit trees

I was told that for every blossom that grows on an apple tree a fruit will
grow.
Can anyone tell me if this is true or not ?
If so does this apply to all fruit trees that blossom pear, plum etc. ?

Rusty Mase 07-05-2004 05:10 PM

Blossom on fruit trees

On Fri, 7 May 2004 15:04:45 +0000 (UTC), "Terry B"
wrote:

I was told that for every blossom that grows on an apple tree a fruit will
grow. Can anyone tell me if this is true or not?

No, a blossom is merely a potential for a fruit. Numerous conditions
must be met before that happens. Typically, the percent of blossoms
that form fruit is dependent on the health of the tree, the weather,
the availability of pollinators, etc.. So I suspected in most
instances the percent of blossoms forming fruit is low.

Rusty Mase