Old 08-05-2004, 06:04 AM
Noman

Default Helping Geraniums survive the winter

Yes, I know it's Spring, but I heard something the other day that I've
never heard before. I was told that you can take geraniums out of their pots
or planters, shake the dirt off until you get to the bare roots, then hang
them in the garage over the Winter. Then replant the following Spring.

I ask this because I have 8 geraniums bought at Marbridge Farms that I'd
like to keep from one year to the next. They are in immovable planters which
are part of my deck's railings. Has anyone heard of this before? Does it
work? I had one geranium survive the freezes over the winter and it's going
to be massive this year. Because of my schedule it's not practical for me to
cover them when freezing temps approach.

Thanks.

Old 08-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Katra

In article , "Noman"
wrote:

Yes, I know it's Spring, but I heard something the other day that I've
never heard before. I was told that you can take geraniums out of their pots
or planters, shake the dirt off until you get to the bare roots, then hang
them in the garage over the Winter. Then replant the following Spring.

I ask this because I have 8 geraniums bought at Marbridge Farms that I'd
like to keep from one year to the next. They are in immovable planters which
are part of my deck's railings. Has anyone heard of this before? Does it
work? I had one geranium survive the freezes over the winter and it's going
to be massive this year. Because of my schedule it's not practical for me to
cover them when freezing temps approach.

Thanks.

Put them in different pots in a small greenhouse over the winter. :-)

These are cheap and easy, and portable and can be put away during the
summer:

http://www.propools.com/cgi-bin/Soft.../greenhouses/d
reamhouse.htm?E+scstore

I just installed 3 of them as permanent structures and they have a 3
year warantee. They took me about 30 minutes each to erect, and maybe
another hour to put in shelving (which is not included).

I am personally thrilled with them. :-)

They also come in a 6' x 6' which is about $100.00 cheaper.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 09-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Red

It certainly does work. I have seen them go through this cycle for several
years being kept either hanging bare rooted or in a paper bag. The really
amazing thing is that they will start to grow in the spring when it is time
to pot them up without being exposed to any outside light. My Mother used
to keep hers in the cellar where in the old days she stored all the canned
goods for the winter. There were no windows and yet every spring the
geraniums would start to sprout right on schedule.

Old 10-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Texensis

"Noman" wrote in message
| Yes, I know it's Spring, but I heard something the other day
that I've
| never heard before. I was told that you can take geraniums out of
their pots
| or planters, shake the dirt off until you get to the bare roots,
then hang
| them in the garage over the Winter. Then replant the following
Spring.

| I ask this because I have 8 geraniums bought at Marbridge Farms that
I'd
| like to keep from one year to the next. They are in immovable
planters which
| are part of my deck's railings. Has anyone heard of this before?
Does it
| work? I had one geranium survive the freezes over the winter and
it's going
| to be massive this year. Because of my schedule it's not practical
for me to
| cover them when freezing temps approach.
|
| Thanks.

I've seen it done, hung upside down in paper bags, but it's kind of
tough around here, with all the mold spores, etc. -- better to start
slips or to move your geraniums to pots that can be carried indoors
and out again on warmer, sunnier days.

Old 11-05-2004, 04:09 AM
Red

I don't agree, if the plants are kept in a relatively dry area preferably
with some air circulation then there should be no problem. I suggest that
Noman do a test this fall and report the results next spring. What's the
worst thing that can happen, the plants die of mold etc as you suggest or
the freeze to death outside. Seems like a no brainier to me. Or just go
down to HD in the spring and buy some new ones. Who wants to baby sit a
bunch of slips and cuttings over the winter? Not me.

Old 11-05-2004, 03:13 PM
Texensis

"Red" wrote in message
om...
| I don't agree, if the plants are kept in a relatively dry area
preferably
| with some air circulation then there should be no problem. I
suggest that
| Noman do a test this fall and report the results next spring.
What's the
| worst thing that can happen, the plants die of mold etc as you
suggest or
| the freeze to death outside. Seems like a no brainier to me. Or
just go
| down to HD in the spring and buy some new ones. Who wants to baby
sit a
| bunch of slips and cuttings over the winter? Not me.

Slips are no problem; they take really well. We just break off a stem
and stick into some potting soil, at any time. By the colder parts of
fall or winter there is a good vigorous plant for every slip and it's
easy to move pots inside when there's going to be a killing frost and
then back outside on milder days. Geraniums love that time of year
more than the summer.

Old 11-05-2004, 09:17 PM
Noman

In an earlier post, Red wrote:

I suggest that Noman do a test this fall and report the results next
spring. What's the
worst thing that can happen, the plants die of mold etc as you suggest or
the freeze to death outside. Seems like a no brainier to me. Or just go
down to HD in the spring and buy some new ones.

I'll take you up on that challenge, Red. Thanks to everyone for the
feedback. I'm basically a cheap person and if I can save five bucks a pot X
8-11 pots, then I'm happy. Plus, I get to try something new.

BTW, let me put in a plug for the nursery at Marbridge Farms. They're a
little more expensive than HD, but they're knowledgeable and they have a
great selection. Plus, the money goes to a good cause.

Thanks to all.