Old 18-05-2004, 04:11 AM
Elliot Richmond

Default Blackberry post retry

I just posted a message, refreshed the message list and double clicked
on my own message and got the response that it was no longer
available. So, this is sort of a test.

On Tue, 18 May 2004 02:43:32 GMT, Victor Martinez
wrote:

J Kolenovsky wrote:
Oooo, yeah! Amen! Vanilla and dewberry.

One of my co-workers said we have dewberries growing wild in the "wild"
areas at work. I say they look like blackberries. What's the difference
between the two?

Only a botanist could tell the difference and only a botanist would
care. I have been told that dewberries are slightly smaller and the
plants are somewhat more recumbent. Blackberries are supposed to be
more productive. Both grow in brambles. They are both Rubus spp. and
are interchangeable for all practical purposes as far as I can tell.
Bake them in a cobbler (pie crust style) and serve big helpings hot
with Blue Bell vanilla. Yummm!!!

I do know that blackberries are red when they're green.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor
Old 18-05-2004, 06:10 AM
Babberney

wrote:

J Kolenovsky wrote:
Oooo, yeah! Amen! Vanilla and dewberry.

One of my co-workers said we have dewberries growing wild in the "wild"
areas at work. I say they look like blackberries. What's the difference
between the two?

Only a botanist could tell the difference and only a botanist would
care. I have been told that dewberries are slightly smaller and the
plants are somewhat more recumbent. Blackberries are supposed to be
more productive. Both grow in brambles. They are both Rubus spp. and
are interchangeable for all practical purposes as far as I can tell.
Bake them in a cobbler (pie crust style) and serve big helpings hot
with Blue Bell vanilla. Yummm!!!

I do know that blackberries are red when they're green.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor

fwiw, i was able to see both posts.

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/
Old 19-05-2004, 03:08 AM
John T. Jarrett

If I recall correctly, someone finally put out a book on the 400
species of rubus that grow in Texas (blackberry, rasberry, etc.) and
when I was doing wetland field work, we didn't even bother trying to
tell which species/type they were although it was obvious that in the
Houston area alone there were over a dozen different species growing.
Even the botanists we'd hire on occasion would rarely try to
differentiate.

I just moved back to Houston from Austin and we have a new one I'd
never seen that grows flat under the grass blades. Tiny red berries
everywhere. The vines were growing one on top of the other a foot deep
all around the yard, but not up the fences or the house. And it grows
so low, I had to drop my mower from all the way up (for Austin) to all
the way down...good thing we are getting plenty of rain down here!

John

wrote:

J Kolenovsky wrote:
[...]

Retry: Flowers for spring, 1/4 - 1RainLilly042409.JPG - 1RainLilly042408.jpg (1/1) Omelet[_4_] Garden Photos 0 25-04-2008 03:09 PM
Lemon Comet, retry WilsonKKW Ponds 0 13-07-2004 02:02 PM
Post Your Three Favorite Movies - I Post Facts About You The Magnficent Bastard Gardening 275 10-03-2004 01:47 AM
Blackberry problems Paul Gulliver United Kingdom 2 03-08-2003 09:17 AM
Blackberry and Plum help Mike United Kingdom 4 15-07-2003 07:39 AM