GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   dewberry vines (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/64560-dewberry-vines.html)

Scruffy Dog 15-06-2004 12:05 AM

dewberry vines

How can I get rid of unwanted dewberry vines in the grass? I keep mowing
them but they are starting to stay low and grow close to the ground. I
just moved on this property, which was is an old neglected field. I'm
trying to get the bermuda grass to come back so I don't really want to
use any poison.

Does anybody want any dewberry plants?I've got a zillion!!

Thanks
Alan

dt 15-06-2004 08:08 PM

dewberry vines

Scruffy Dog wrote:
How can I get rid of unwanted dewberry vines in the grass? I keep mowing
them but they are starting to stay low and grow close to the ground. I
just moved on this property, which was is an old neglected field. I'm
trying to get the bermuda grass to come back so I don't really want to
use any poison.

Does anybody want any dewberry plants?I've got a zillion!!

LOL!

Hey, Alan--I'm trying to get rid of my damn bermuda grass and encourage
the dewberries! Any suggestions? ;-)

DT

Rusty Mase 15-06-2004 10:05 PM

dewberry vines

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 17:17:36 -0500, (Scruffy Dog)
wrote:

How can I get rid of unwanted dewberry vines in the grass?

A good dose of nitrogen and a good watering would give the Bermuda an
advantage right now. Ammoniun sulfate if you are not restricted to
organic fertilizers. It is inexpensive from Callahans in the
Montopolis area. Also, keep the grass mowed short for a month or so
and keep the blade sharp.

Rusty Mase

Jim Marrs 18-06-2004 04:04 AM

dewberry vines

Bermuda grows back fast. A little Roundup may be the best answer. I don't
think herbicides should be used with out concern but sometimes drastic
action is the only way. Next to a herbicide you might try 20% vinegar. It
will kill the surrounding grass but not so permanently. The problem is that
the dewberries may not be killed permanently either. Then you can always dig
the plants up one by one. Over several years you will probably successfully
destroy all the dewberries.

Good Luck
Jim