GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Further update on venus fly traps (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/67061-further-update-venus-fly-traps.html)

Brian Anderson 24-06-2004 01:06 AM

Further update on venus fly traps

It's now been two months since I bought them. I haven't given
them any flies in the past month.

In the past month one of my plants went from thriving to
nearly dead, and the others both began to wilt. But in the
past week or so they have all sprung up new growth, and right
now they are a combination of wilty (sometimes black) plants
with a few vibrant green stalks growing out of them. One of
them has a new mouth that is wide open and facing straight up,
so I will feed this one in the next month and see how it
affects the plant.

Two of the plants have about one or two useable traps each,
and the third plant has no good traps but has one new shoot
that may develop one if the shoot doesn't die before then.

I think the wilting was due to too much watering, because the
peat got pretty wet froma combination of my watering and the
terrarium being left out in the rain (there are four very
small holes in the lid). About two weeks ago I did a fast and
dirty changing of the sorgham peat moss to remove the wet
stuff and replace it with dry. I was pretty sloppy about it
and also "dusted" the plants with peat moss in the process,
which probably didn't help any, but I didn't want to do a
complete repotting to fix it because Venus fly traps don't do
well with repottings.

More in a month...

P.S. to Ty: I haven't given them any fertilizer. When I
mentioned "spoon feeding them nitrogen," I meant dropping
freshly killed flies into their traps. They're in no position
to catch flies themselves, so they only get what I give them.