Old 10-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Mr. Clean

Default Lantanas have gone south

Of course with the rain we've been getting, I did not turn on my
sprinkler system but I do not think it is the cause of the problems
I'm experiencing wih my lantana.

Here are photos:
http://66.45.227.243/~austin1/lantana.html

I know the quality isn't all that great, they come from a JVC Digital
Video recorder.

Someone please tell me what is going on, I lease this home and
do not want to have to replace the entire bed, although from the
size, I'd love to cut them back. BTW, how do you do that anyway?

Regards.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:03 AM
Red

Looks like an attack of lace bugs. If the leaves feel like sand paper and if
there are small black spots on the bottom of the leaves then that would
confirm the diagnosis. If you are not opposed to the chemical solution then
use a systemic spray, i.e. Ortho Systemic. I don't know of an organic
solution.

Old 10-07-2004, 04:07 PM
escapee

You're right about the photos, but I would say it looks like you have powdery
mildew, a common problem on lantana. I don't know how someone can see this is
lacebugs, but your best bet is to bring your lantana in to a garden center and
have the problem diagnosed. If you live near Natural Gardener, or Red Barn, or
Barton Springs Garden Center, go there. Do NOT use neurotoxins when you don't
have a proper identification of the problem. That is an extremely toxic chemical
which I would not use even if every plant was dying on my property.

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 00:58:41 GMT, Mr. Clean opined:

Old 13-07-2004, 07:06 PM
RoyDMercer

"Mr. Clean" wrote in message
Of course with the rain we've been getting, I did not turn on my
sprinkler system but I do not think it is the cause of the problems
I'm experiencing wih my lantana.

Here are photos:
http://66.45.227.243/~austin1/lantana.html

I know the quality isn't all that great, they come from a JVC Digital
Video recorder.

Someone please tell me what is going on, I lease this home and
do not want to have to replace the entire bed, although from the
size, I'd love to cut them back. BTW, how do you do that anyway?

The early spring is the best time to prune them back. Do this by removing
dead wood and removing many of the shoots all the way to the ground. Leave
some of the strong, vigorous shoots alone. Basically what you want is for
it to reach it's natural height without becoming too bushy. Now is not the
greatest time to prune, but you might want to prune back the shoots which
aren't doing so well to allow the rest of the plant to recover. It's always
a good idea to remove dead growth at any time.

I would suspect either over fertilization or insects which are attacking the
plant's roots.