GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Something's eating my tomatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/79278-somethings-eating-my-tomatoes.html)

rhandrich 16-07-2004 07:23 PM

Something's eating my tomatoes

To avoid the deer, I am growing tomatoes on my second floor deck. The
tomato plants and tomato plants themselves are fine but once they ripen
something is eating them. At first I thought it was birds because they
were small holes in the beginning.

I keep seeing bugs about the size of a nickel that look kind of like
spiders but with only four legs. They're brown and red. Is that what is
eating my tomatoes? What are they? And how do I make them go away. I've
been picking tomatoes at dark orange rather than deep sun-ripened red to
save them.....

BJ in Texas 28-07-2004 05:04 PM

"rhandrich" wrote in message
To avoid the deer, I am growing tomatoes on my second floor deck. The
tomato plants and tomato plants themselves are fine but once they ripen
something is eating them. At first I thought it was birds because they
were small holes in the beginning.

I keep seeing bugs about the size of a nickel that look kind of like
spiders but with only four legs. They're brown and red. Is that what is
eating my tomatoes? What are they? And how do I make them go away. I've
been picking tomatoes at dark orange rather than deep sun-ripened red to
save them.....

I don't know about the brown and red bugs, but I have had a bumper crop
of tomato worms this year. The big green beasties... BJ