Old 19-07-2004, 05:14 PM
Chuck

Default Pride of Barbados

Any tips on dealing wit this plant? Anyone have one? What is the typical
bloom season?

Old 19-07-2004, 09:15 PM
escapee

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 06:10:17 GMT, "Chuck" opined:

Any tips on dealing wit this plant? Anyone have one? What is the typical
bloom season?

Mine started blooming about a month ago and it usually blooms all summer for me.
I remove spent blooms and fertilize it right after doing that. I leave many
pods on the second flush of bloom to have seeds. I start the seeds for more
plats. I have about 10 waiting to be planted in the ground. They are reliably
root hardy here in our USDA Zone 8b. They are very drought tolerant.

Old 21-07-2004, 02:03 AM
Chuck

Good to know Andy! Thanks.

"Andyd" wrote in message
One thing to be wary of with Pride of Barbados- they get HUGE. Very
quickly. I wouldn't plant them next to anything. But I have not done
any cutting back on these, maybe that is possible. They will get 6-7'
tall and 6-7 feet wide by early summer even though I cut back to the
ground in the winter.

And yes, they are extremely drought tolerant. These plants are a
favorite along the highways in SE Arizona desert, and you know how
little precip. they get there. Mine have been blooming for several
weeks and they usually go for months. Very nice plants.

And I am told the deer avoid them, although my first experience with
this was that they took them down to the ground. However I have one
peeking through a fence, and the low branches and leaves are
untouched. I have another in a container that I plan on experimenting
with outside of my fenced in area to see if it will grow without being
bothered much.

andyd

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:16:28 GMT, "Chuck"
wrote:

Great, thanks, I'm going to get one to sit next to an Esperanza.

"escapee" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 06:10:17 GMT, "Chuck"

opined:

Any tips on dealing wit this plant? Anyone have one? What is the

typical
bloom season?

Mine started blooming about a month ago and it usually blooms all

summer
for me.
I remove spent blooms and fertilize it right after doing that. I leave

many
pods on the second flush of bloom to have seeds. I start the seeds for

more
plats. I have about 10 waiting to be planted in the ground. They are

reliably
root hardy here in our USDA Zone 8b. They are very drought tolerant.

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for yourself or a

friend?

Old 21-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Chuck

Interesting, I see at the Nursery they have Mexican Bird of Paradise, but
not Red Bird of Paradise (Pride of Barbados). However, the flower on their
Mexican Bird looks orange, not yellow. I want the red/orange flower - should
I risk it?

wrote:

Great, thanks, I'm going to get one to sit next to an Esperanza.

.. .

Old 22-07-2004, 02:13 AM
escapee

This is why I try not to use common names. The plants you are talking about are
Caesalpinia pulcherrima. They come in several colors. I have the
yellow/ white, also the orange/red

I'm hoping to get seeds for the yellow/white form as I will grow them for the
nurseries if I can get some seeds.

Victoria

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:22:51 GMT, "Chuck" opined:

Interesting, I see at the Nursery they have Mexican Bird of Paradise, but
not Red Bird of Paradise (Pride of Barbados). However, the flower on their
Mexican Bird looks orange, not yellow. I want the red/orange flower - should
I risk it?

.. .

wrote:

Great, thanks, I'm going to get one to sit next to an Esperanza.

.. .