Old 02-08-2004, 04:42 AM
Stan

Default looking for blueberry bushes, vines for new garden area

Looking for some cheap blueberry bushes and muscadine/grape vines.
Wanting to start a garden preserve. Know spring is the best time...
Moving to an area outside Austin where we'll have room for a garden.
Thanks.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:30 AM
MrChaos007

Blueberries like very acidic soil which we do NOT have. You will need to
invest alot into a special bed to acidify the soil and maintain its low
pH. Most blueberries are very hard to keep alive here. Try to find some
for more alkaline soil and that should help. Contact The Natural
Gardner, Texas AM or the county extension agent they may know of the
right varieties that will have a chance of growing here.

Muscadines will do fine here. At least mine do!

Dave
www.gardensoftheancients.com

Old 04-08-2004, 01:53 AM
Gary Brady

"Stan" wrote in message
om...
Looking for some cheap blueberry bushes and muscadine/grape vines.
Wanting to start a garden preserve. Know spring is the best time...
Moving to an area outside Austin where we'll have room for a garden.
Thanks.

You'll need a blueberry of the "rabbit-eye" variety that has low chilling
hour requirements so that it will set fruit in our climate. And as the
other poster said, they won't grow in our soil. You'll have to plant them
in containers filled with peat moss and pine bark mulch. I think you also
need at least three different sub-varieties to get the proper cross
pollination. Now, with all that said, I once picked up some blueberry
plants at the local outlet and planted them in pots (no idea what variety or
chilling requirement) and they actually produced a few berries. Go figure.

Phish's blueberry bushes Beecrofter Gardening 2 23-08-2003 01:22 PM
Protecting blueberry bushes from birds B. Joshua Rosen Edible Gardening 12 09-07-2003 07:52 PM
Blueberry bushes Annaid Gardening 3 12-05-2003 07:20 PM
Wanted: Blueberry bushes McFadden57 Gardening 1 30-03-2003 01:32 PM
Blueberry bushes for Upstate NY? Beecrofter Gardening 0 22-02-2003 05:39 AM