Old 21-08-2004, 06:27 PM
Cindie Light

Default Garden variety advice. Calling Garden Sages!

Hi I tried my hand at a raised bed garden this year and its been nice.
I got my varieties at Lowes and had many problems so Im wanting some
advice on varieties to start from seed or buy local or online that
will be central texas friendly. We have an irrigation system.

Heres what happend this year:
cucumber plants seemed to get some sort of blight from the beginning.
Ive gotten cucumbers and have had a nice supply for our family of 5
but from day one had ugly leaves some dotting some drying up.

Would like cucumber variety advice for central texas.

Planted Big Boy tomatos did fine until end of season then leaves dried
and turned brown. Fruit cracked some mottling on the fruit looking
like water bruises. Not real happy w/ the fruit. Pretty ugly
fruit...very much bummed on this love tomatos.

Would like Tomato variety that is disease resist.

Planted Roma and salad tomatos both got some sort of blight and got
only a few before I totally tossed them to the burn pile.

Planted Green peppers that stayed small. Some leaves getting a brown
edge and curling

Okra did great

Not much on my sweet pumpkins or watermelon still in flower stage have
no idea if they are producing. Leaves sporadically get really dried up
and change color to a yellow mottled look. Some leaves grow beyond
that looking green.

Planted Onions they did good.

But any suggestions on what to do NEXT year. Can anyone discern what
went wrong varieties? some sort of soil blight? (tested soil it is
good neutral ph) Too much water (run irrigation 45 minutes every other
day) I dont know but next year I want things to go better! Any advice
appreciated