Old 30-09-2004, 07:58 PM
Registered User

Location: Austin, Texas
Default Installing a drip irrigation system

does anyone have any recommendations for drip irrigation system installers in austin? our soker hose isn't doing the trick any more, and i think a drip system would be far more efficient and effective. thanks.

-mark
Old 30-09-2004, 08:15 PM
Registered User

Location: Austin, Texas

oh yeah, i forgot to ask if anyone has had any practical experience with them and can tell me if they're as good as everyone says. thanks.

-mark
Old 30-09-2004, 11:34 PM
Grubber

--
Mark Levy

My experience has been that the little button (x gallons/hr)drippers pop
from the pressure if you open your tap more than .000235 inches. I've got
some runs set up with flag type drippers that work OK, but after a couple
years of trying things with drippers, I'd just use soakers in most cases.

Old 01-10-2004, 03:07 AM
Russell

I've been using drip on all of my plants for about 5 years now, love it!
Just have to watch the power outages resetting my timers, shows by plants
drying up. If you would like to see, in South Austin, write me.

Old 03-10-2004, 12:45 AM
B.Server

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:15:32 +0100, Mark Levy
wrote:

oh yeah, i forgot to ask if anyone has had any practical experience with
them and can tell me if they're as good as everyone says. thanks.

-mark

I use them on my vegetable beds. Pressure regulators can cure the
overpressure. (the ones I use are simple, mechanical flow limiters).

I keep a dozen or so emitters in a bag in the greenhouse and pull
ones on the hoses that are clogged (general crap in the water as well
as "liming up") It pays to use a good filter for the crap and a jar
of vinegar takes care of the lime after you pull the emitter.

I don't use electrical valves except when I am traveling. Too many
past problems.

FWIW, my stuff is all Submatic brand.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:28 PM
Billy Greer

I have about 600 feet of dripmist line (5 different circuits) with about 150
emitters and it works great. I water everything from trees to shrubs,
flowers, vines, etc. The only thing that I suggest is that you check each
emitter about once a month as they do get clogged up every so often. I am
on a well so don't know about city water. I get most of my stuff from Home
Depot but occasionally order special emitters off the internet. Go for it
the stuff really works.