GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   oak tree branches falling off (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/84752-oak-tree-branches-falling-off.html)

Chris 08-10-2004 05:08 PM

oak tree branches falling off

I have an oak tree in my yard that has branches falling off that look as
though they've been sawed through with a hack saw. The cuts are very clean.
They aren't big branches ~1/4 inch thick but most of the branches on this
tree aren't too much bigger than that. Is there some sort of beetle or
something else that systematically chews through branches?

Yikes!
Chris

Chris 12-10-2004 04:13 PM

"Rusty Mase" wrote in message
On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 16:08:48 GMT, "Chris" wrote:

I have an oak tree in my yard that has branches falling off that look as
though they've been sawed through with a hack saw.

These are caused by twig girdling and twig pruning beetles, actually
their larvae. I did a quick search and here is additional
information.

http://www.ag.uiuc.edu/cespubs/hyg/html/200013e.html

Rusty Mase

Those pesky little ******* beetles.