GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Where to buy sand for playground (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/85317-where-buy-sand-playground.html)

Vinny 21-10-2004 03:32 PM

Where to buy sand for playground

Hi All:

I am trying to locate a store that sells sands by the bulk (truck
load) for a playground for my son's Montessori School. Anyone have
done that before ? Please share your experience...

BR,

V.

Katra 21-10-2004 06:13 PM

In article ,
(Vinny) wrote:

Hi All:

I am trying to locate a store that sells sands by the bulk (truck
load) for a playground for my son's Montessori School. Anyone have
done that before ? Please share your experience...

BR,

V.

I have...
Be careful. There are several grades of sand!

Look in the phonebook under "hauling". I've bought truckloads of sand
for landscaping before, it's purchased by the cubic yard. It runs me
about $150.00 for a 10 cubic yard (10 ton) load of sand, delivered. :-)

You can also check with landscaping companies and gardening companies.

Also, look under "quarries" in the yellow pages.

Hope this helps???

Again, be careful of the type of sand!!! You want Play Sand.
The sand I have bought was either washed limestone or sandy loam, both
of which are not suitable for playgrounds. They get hard.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Robbin 22-10-2004 09:31 AM

Capitol Aggregates -- they are located on 183 at Bolm road -- slightly north
of the river. Their sands are really nice as are their pea gravels. Best
thing would be to go out there and look at the different products. Stop at
the weigh station -- it's a small two story building shortly after you drive
in. They will give you directions and I'm sure can also arrange a delivery.

om...

Dewitt 22-10-2004 03:53 PM

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 03:31:08 -0500, "Robbin" wrote:

Capitol Aggregates -- they are located on 183 at Bolm road -- slightly north
of the river. Their sands are really nice as are their pea gravels. Best
thing would be to go out there and look at the different products. Stop at
the weigh station -- it's a small two story building shortly after you drive
in. They will give you directions and I'm sure can also arrange a delivery.

This reminded me that several years back a friend did some research on
what material to put around a children's swing set / play area. He
ended up putting in a pea gravel as that was supposed to absorb falls
better than sand which tends to pack down.

deg

Rusty Mase 22-10-2004 04:11 PM

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:53:12 GMT, Dewitt
wrote:

This reminded me that several years back a friend did some research on
what material to put around a children's swing set / play area. He
ended up putting in a pea gravel as that was supposed to absorb falls
better than sand which tends to pack down.

You need to also be concerned with the age of the children using the
play area as pea gravel could offer a choking hazard. Isn't there
information of this from the toy safety industry? Also, pea gravel
can get stuck in their ears and noses.

Little kids do not have that far to fall usually and packed sand might
not be much of a hazard to them. Capital Aggregates (good advice on
them by the way, Robbin) and companies like them sell "washed sand"
for use in concrete that is similar to the coarse beach sand like the
beach volleyball courts at Zilker Park. Since the public parks use
stuff like that it has to be a little safer.

Rusty Mase

Dewitt 22-10-2004 04:39 PM

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:11:44 -0500, Rusty Mase wrote:

You need to also be concerned with the age of the children using the
play area as pea gravel could offer a choking hazard. Isn't there
information of this from the toy safety industry?

From the National Program for Playground Safety
http://www.uni.edu/playground/tips/S...uidelines.html

From the National Safety Council
http://www.nsc.org/library/facts/plgrdgen.htm

They say both pea gravel and sand are acceptable. Your comment about
course sand is a good one. Probably much better than fine sand which
tends to pack.

deg

Rusty Mase 22-10-2004 05:15 PM

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:39:58 GMT, Dewitt
wrote:

From the National Program for Playground Safety
http://www.uni.edu/playground/tips/S...uidelines.html

From the National Safety Council
http://www.nsc.org/library/facts/plgrdgen.htm

They say both pea gravel and sand are acceptable. Your comment about
course sand is a good one. Probably much better than fine sand which
tends to pack.

That summarizes it well and also reminds us of the risks found in
playgrounds.

Rusty Mase