Old 26-10-2004, 09:50 PM
Art Vega

Default To Rye or not to rye, this is the question

Hello,

I have been living in a house for the past two years,
and this year I'm considering growing rye grass in
the backyard so it looks more lively.

Does it hurt the existing St. Augustin grass in the
spring? Does it grow fast? Do I need to water it a lot?

Please tell me about the advantages and disadvantages.

Thanks and regards,
Art
Old 27-10-2004, 12:32 AM
Victor Martinez

Katra wrote:
Rye grass - Good!

I've always heard the opposite, from the likes of Skip Richter (sp?).
They say the annual grass stresses the perennial grass or something to
that effect.

Victor, who doesn't have enough grass to have to worry about how it
looks in winter.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 27-10-2004, 01:41 AM
Katra

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

Katra wrote:
Rye grass - Good!

I've always heard the opposite, from the likes of Skip Richter (sp?).
They say the annual grass stresses the perennial grass or something to
that effect.

Well, I have the reverse experience... ;-)
Winter rye always gives me a better lawn.
I don't baby my grass either! I've not rye'd now for
a couple of years and I have very litte perrenial grass
left. I'm hoping to fix that problem without having to
spend a lot of money.

'sides, winter rye looks nice!

Victor, who doesn't have enough grass to have to worry about how it
looks in winter.

Try the winter rye and that might change. ;-)

K.

Ps, of course, part of my problem is a very active border collie......
Old 27-10-2004, 02:01 AM
jOhN

Art Vega wrote:
Hello,

I have been living in a house for the past two years,
and this year I'm considering growing rye grass in
the backyard so it looks more lively.

Does it hurt the existing St. Augustin grass in the
spring? Does it grow fast? Do I need to water it a lot?

Please tell me about the advantages and disadvantages.

Thanks and regards,
Art

Do you like mowing, watering and fertilizing during the winter
months?............whether it's a disadvantages or advantage depends on
your answer ;-)

My experience is that it was fun one year but I've not done it again
since then. My bro-in-law does it every year, but he also trims his
carpet grass real short and complains about the water bills. To him it
is all about the looks.

I'd say give it a shot and see what you think.

Old 27-10-2004, 02:45 PM
escapee

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:32:12 GMT, Victor Martinez opined:

Katra wrote:
Rye grass - Good!

I've always heard the opposite, from the likes of Skip Richter (sp?).
They say the annual grass stresses the perennial grass or something to
that effect.

Victor, who doesn't have enough grass to have to worry about how it
looks in winter.

Bermuda suffers from overseeding in winter, but St. Augustine seems to flourish
with the overseeding method.

Old 27-10-2004, 03:43 PM
Victor Martinez

escapee wrote:
Bermuda suffers from overseeding in winter, but St. Augustine seems to flourish
with the overseeding method.

That's what it is then! We have a very small patch of St. Augustine in
the front and a bigger patch of Zoyzia in the back. Neither get any kind
of winter treatment, we just let them be.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 28-10-2004, 02:39 PM
escapee

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:43:49 GMT, Victor Martinez opined:

escapee wrote:
Bermuda suffers from overseeding in winter, but St. Augustine seems to flourish
with the overseeding method.

That's what it is then! We have a very small patch of St. Augustine in
the front and a bigger patch of Zoyzia in the back. Neither get any kind
of winter treatment, we just let them be.

Yeah, Zoysia does not appreciate overseeding. It's such a thick turf to begin
with. I like the idea of not having to mow in winter, so I haven't overseeded
in a good while. This year I didn't water or weed my garden. Of course it is a
complete mess, but it is FLOODED with butterflies, dragonflies, and every manner
or life. We have an opossum living (probably) in the brush pile. He is so huge
he looks like a dog! I spotted a hawk on the fence the other day. I'm actually
afraid to go to the far back of the property for fear something will freak me
out! Whatever plant survives, will still be here next year. What doesn't, will
not be replaced.

Old 02-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Andyd

Rye grass.....aack. Mowing, taking care of it in the winter? Bah
humbug. And it grows quickly, if you don't attend to it, it will get
too long fairly quickly and a) clog up the mower (it seems to be
wetter than our zoysia to me and clogs easily when long) and b) mat
down in the existing grass and cause problems. Of course this is when
it is allowed to get too long, whcih is easy in these days of darkness
at 5:30. No time to mow after work.

It does look good though. Just depends on whether or not you want to
deal with it all winter long.

On 26 Oct 2004 12:50:44 -0700, (Art Vega) wrote:

Hello,

I have been living in a house for the past two years,
and this year I'm considering growing rye grass in
the backyard so it looks more lively.

Does it hurt the existing St. Augustin grass in the
spring? Does it grow fast? Do I need to water it a lot?

Please tell me about the advantages and disadvantages.

Thanks and regards,
Art

Rye or Ryegrass for Winter Green Mulch? Henry Cate Edible Gardening 9 22-11-2003 04:22 PM
Rye grass? Texas 2 17-09-2003 02:36 AM
Changing over from Winter Rye Grass Vicky Lawns 1 09-05-2003 01:32 AM
Planting Winter Rye Grass Paul W. Campbell Lawns 1 05-05-2003 11:57 PM
how can i kill rye grass?? info Gardening 6 03-03-2003 05:27 PM