Old 27-10-2004, 01:29 AM
Doug Lassiter

Default string trimmer recommendations?

I need a new gas string trimmer for home landscaping. The Ryobi 31cc I
got about four years ago is a piece of junk. Would never go that route
again. Hard to start, poor string feed, etc. (And I get along well
with other 1-cycle engines ...) Looking for something reasonably
inexpensive, but durable, functional, reliable etc. Something good out
there?
Old 27-10-2004, 02:11 AM
jOhN

Doug Lassiter wrote:
I need a new gas string trimmer for home landscaping. The Ryobi 31cc I
got about four years ago is a piece of junk. Would never go that route
again. Hard to start, poor string feed, etc. (And I get along well
with other 1-cycle engines ...) Looking for something reasonably
inexpensive, but durable, functional, reliable etc. Something good out
there?

I have a Ryobi 775r that has worked well for 3 years. I had a Ryan/IDC
model before that (10 years of trimming fury). The 775r is a straight
shaft and the shaft rotates 360 degrees with detents every 90 degrees. I
think it was well rated in Consumer Reports. Unfortunately, these days
one manufacturer can turn out a diverse range of quality on its products
so i have turned model specific in hunting down stuff to buy.

Check out epinions.com to see if there are any winners.
Old 27-10-2004, 02:15 AM
Gary Brady

I have a Homelite that I have owned for about 8 years. It's been pretty
reliable and the string seems to feed well. I did have to replace the fuel
line once, about 1.5" of hose for $2.79. Homelite scorches you on repair
parts. I also have a Homelite electric chain saw, and the parts are
outrageous for it as well.

This trimmer was a gift, but I think they cost around 80 bucks.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

om...

Old 27-10-2004, 02:33 AM
RM

Call around to the home depots in the austin area and ask the gardening
people if they have any straight shaft echo weed eaters that have been
returned. I purchased the echo 2100 trimmer 3 years ago and it still starts
on first pull. People buy them and use them for a few days then return
them. Home depot marks them down usually $75.00 and sells them for $125.00.
Its a $200.00 trimmer new and well worth the 200, but home depot gives you a
2 year warranty from the date of purchase on the returned ones.

Don

Old 27-10-2004, 04:11 PM
Rusty Mase

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:33:04 GMT, "RM"
wrote:
(snipped)
I purchased the echo 2100 trimmer 3 years ago and it still starts
on first pull.

I bought an Echo SRM200DA in 1978 and it has only been to a shop once
to upgrade some of the electronics. Although I paid dearly for it -
maybe $275 at that time - it is likely the best lawn tool investment I
ever made.

If you are interested in patents, the string trimmer is a very
interesting topic with a few urban legends floating around. The
string trimmer began evolving from steel bladed edgers about 75 years
ago. But it took development of small two-cycle engines to power them
and polymer plastics for the strings to really make this a usable yard
tool.

I have often wondered if Echo did not itself evolve out of a company
that made two-cycle motors for model airplanes.

Rusty Mase
Old 29-10-2004, 07:35 AM
Doug Lassiter

Many thanks. That's all great advice. BTW, a blade option does sound
attractive. I think I used one long ago, and recalled being impressed.
It's not exactly string trimming season, but let's just say that I've
had a disfunctional one since the last such time, and I'm quite
overgrown right now! Maybe that's why a blade sounds so good ...
Old 17-06-2013, 04:02 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Wednesday, October 27, 2004 9:29:13 AM UTC+10, Doug Lassiter wrote:
I need a new gas string trimmer for home landscaping. The Ryobi 31cc I
got about four years ago is a piece of junk. Would never go that route
again. Hard to start, poor string feed, etc. (And I get along well
with other 1-cycle engines ...) Looking for something reasonably
inexpensive, but durable, functional, reliable etc. Something good out
there?

I have used Victa gas string trimmer for a while. It is very good and powerful, but it still have some problem to get start, need a few pull and push. Then I find a cordless string trimmer from my neighbour. I think it is very handy and easy to use. The battery can run for about 1 hour before recharge and string can be changed automatically. Now I would like to use cordless string trimmer rather than the heavy and noisy gas trimmer. The cordless string trimmer I use is Black & Decker. There are a few modes can be choose on http://blackanddeckercordlesstrimmer.com