GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree that begins with "Vi" (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/87469-tree-begins-%22vi%22.html)

Hane 07-12-2004 05:44 PM

Tree that begins with "Vi"

What is the name of the tree beginning with "Vi" that has leaves somewhat like marijuana
leaves?
It often has multiple trunks (like a crepe myrtle) and the limbs spread like a Live Oak.
I can't remember and don't have enough letters to use search engines.

hane

dt 07-12-2004 05:56 PM

Hane wrote:

What is the name of the tree beginning with "Vi" that has leaves somewhat like marijuana
leaves?
It often has multiple trunks (like a crepe myrtle) and the limbs spread like a Live Oak.
I can't remember and don't have enough letters to use search engines.

hane

Vitex
http://www.npr.org/programs/talkingp...les/vitex.html

DT
http://www.thehungersite.com/

Hane 07-12-2004 06:35 PM

"dt" wrote in message ...
Hane wrote:

What is the name of the tree beginning with "Vi" that has leaves somewhat like

marijuana
leaves?
It often has multiple trunks (like a crepe myrtle) and the limbs spread like a Live

Oak.
I can't remember and don't have enough letters to use search engines.

hane

Vitex
http://www.npr.org/programs/talkingp...les/vitex.html

DT
http://www.thehungersite.com/

Thank you! At 12 minutes, your response was less time than I'd already
spent with search engines and bookmarked sites.

h-

dt 07-12-2004 09:08 PM

Hane wrote:

"dt" wrote in message ...

Hane wrote:

What is the name of the tree beginning with "Vi" that has leaves somewhat like

marijuana

leaves?
It often has multiple trunks (like a crepe myrtle) and the limbs spread like a Live

Oak.

I can't remember and don't have enough letters to use search engines.

hane

Vitex
http://www.npr.org/programs/talkingp...les/vitex.html

DT
http://www.thehungersite.com/

Thank you! At 12 minutes, your response was less time than I'd already
spent with search engines and bookmarked sites.

h-

You're welcome. Lucky you asked a question I knew. ;-)

My grandmother used to call these "lavender trees". I don't think
they're related to "real" lavender, though.

DT
http://www.thehungersite.com/

Dewitt 07-12-2004 11:12 PM

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:44:40 GMT, "Hane"
wrote:

What is the name of the tree beginning with "Vi" that has leaves somewhat like marijuana
leaves?
It often has multiple trunks (like a crepe myrtle) and the limbs spread like a Live Oak.
I can't remember and don't have enough letters to use search engines.

hane

Not that it starts with "vi", but Texas star hibiscus leaves also
looks a bit like marijuana. A number of years back, a co-worker of
mine had a Texas star hibiscus planted in his yard. He noticed that
leaves were disappearing from it and then one day the plant was
completely gone. While he regretted the loss, he found the mental
image of teenagers smoking hibiscus leaves pretty funny. .

deg

Rusty Mase 08-12-2004 12:53 AM

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 23:12:11 GMT, Dewitt
wrote:

Not that it starts with "vi", but Texas star hibiscus leaves also
looks a bit like marijuana. A number of years back, a co-worker of
mine had a Texas star hibiscus planted in his yard. He noticed that
leaves were disappearing from it and then one day the plant was
completely gone. While he regretted the loss, he found the mental
image of teenagers smoking hibiscus leaves pretty funny.

About 20 years ago we were putting in a public demo garden and used
this hibiscus in a moist area. We were using quart container-sized
plants only 18" tall and they would disappear not long after we put
them in. We replaced them about five times before giving up.

I just wonder if anyone ever planted and grew them to the point they
flowered, or if they just smoked them without thinking about it.
There are numerous plants in the mallow family with leaves like this,
including the crop fiber plant Kenaf. They are all reported to give
you a nice headache.

Rusty Mase

Cindy 09-12-2004 02:11 AM

Thank you! At 12 minutes, your response was less time than I'd
already
spent with search engines and bookmarked sites.

h-

And if you do a search in Google groups for Vitex, you'll find a thread
about if from this newsgroup a few months back.

Cindy