Old 23-02-2005, 10:02 AM
anyone

Default rapid growing tree/shrub needed for privacy

Help!!... I need to have someone plant some fast growing small trees or
large shrubs to give me privacy - the lot next to mine is being built on
right now. There is LOTS of rock where I live in the hillcountry - and I
need someone who has the equipment or muscle necessary to dig through it.
Can anyone recommend someone who provides such a service and what fast-
growing, deer resistant tree/shrub should be planted? I am in the far
southwest hill country.

Thanks in advance.
Old 23-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Gary Brady

anyone wrote:
Help!!... I need to have someone plant some fast growing small trees or
large shrubs to give me privacy - the lot next to mine is being built on
right now. There is LOTS of rock where I live in the hillcountry - and I
need someone who has the equipment or muscle necessary to dig through it.
Can anyone recommend someone who provides such a service and what fast-
growing, deer resistant tree/shrub should be planted? I am in the far
southwest hill country.

Thanks in advance.

Oleander. It's poisonous, though.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Old 23-02-2005, 03:28 PM
anyone

Gary Brady wrote in
ink.net:

anyone wrote:
Help!!... I need to have someone plant some fast growing small trees
or large shrubs to give me privacy - the lot next to mine is being
built on right now. There is LOTS of rock where I live in the
hillcountry - and I need someone who has the equipment or muscle
necessary to dig through it. Can anyone recommend someone who
provides such a service and what fast- growing, deer resistant
tree/shrub should be planted? I am in the far southwest hill
country.

Thanks in advance.

Oleander. It's poisonous, though.

I know this is a dumb question, but what are the problems with having a
poisonous plant - if there are no kids around - I assume the deer don't eat
it - do I need to worry about pets (cats?) ? Do you know a good company
that I could have come and plant them?
Old 23-02-2005, 07:35 PM
Joe Doe

In article . net,
Gary Brady wrote:

anyone wrote:
Help!!... I need to have someone plant some fast growing small trees or
large shrubs to give me privacy - the lot next to mine is being built on
right now. There is LOTS of rock where I live in the hillcountry - and I
need someone who has the equipment or muscle necessary to dig through it.
Can anyone recommend someone who provides such a service and what fast-
growing, deer resistant tree/shrub should be planted? I am in the far
southwest hill country.

Thanks in advance.

Oleander. It's poisonous, though.

The downside is that it susceptible to freeze damage (hardy red is hardy
to 20 F or so) so it will periodically loose leaves. It is probably
root hardy but you will still loose privacy if it freezes.

Roland
Old 23-02-2005, 08:54 PM
Harold Robbins

anyone wrote:

I know this is a dumb question, but what are the problems with having a
poisonous plant - if there are no kids around - I assume the deer don't eat
it - do I need to worry about pets (cats?) ? Do you know a good company
that I could have come and plant them?

They are beautiful plants with nice flowers in season. It is reported a
family thought the straight stalks would make a good barbeque stake and
rosted weiners on the fire and were painfully poisoned. We had some
planted along side the house. Never had any problems. So long as
someone doesn't try to eat them, they good 8 foot tall foliage and color.

Harold

Old 23-02-2005, 09:32 PM
Gary Brady

Oleander. It's poisonous, though.

I know this is a dumb question, but what are the problems with having a
poisonous plant - if there are no kids around - I assume the deer don't eat
it - do I need to worry about pets (cats?) ? Do you know a good company
that I could have come and plant them?

None that I can tell. I have a 14 year old daughter and a load of dogs
and cats. Never had any problem. It's just a disclaimer that goes
along with oleanders. Sorry, can't help with referrals on planting.
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Old 24-02-2005, 06:55 AM
Katra

rofl!!!
Here we go again!!! ;-)

I still have a BUNCH of free JL seeds on the trees if anyone wants them,
and several babies in the yard I've not dug up yet...... G

In article
,

"anyone" wrote in message
Help!!... I need to have someone plant some fast growing small trees or
large shrubs to give me privacy - the lot next to mine is being built on
right now. There is LOTS of rock where I live in the hillcountry - and I
need someone who has the equipment or muscle necessary to dig through it.
Can anyone recommend someone who provides such a service and what fast-
growing, deer resistant tree/shrub should be planted? I am in the far
southwest hill country.

Thanks in advance.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 24-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Rusty Mase

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:21:14 GMT, "Tex John"
wrote:

Here's the official noxious weeds list which doesn't officially list any
ligustrum...

Well, not implying that the Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) is
incompetent to generate a list of this nature, I would recommend this
as a better guide:
http://fireant.tamu.edu/antfacts/pdf/texas1.pdf

This lists the Ligustrums as well as Chinaberry and Chinese Tallow
(also listed by TDA, the only one). This is a much better developed
list.

The Union of Concerned Scientists has a nice collection of info:
http://www.ucsusa.org/global_environ...fm?pageID=1113

or if that page breaks:
http://tinyurl.com/5hv4a

Rusty Mase
Old 24-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Cindy

Oh phoo....I got a Chinese tallow last fall at a local nursery - one of
those nurseries that has plants growing through the pots into the ground and
sells stuff from 5 or 10 years ago, know what I mean? I like those places,
you never know what you'll find. Luckily it's still in the pot. I hate to
kill it, I think it's pretty, but naturally the nursery owner didn't TELL me
the city's trying to weed them out and get rid of them when she sold it to
me.

Cindy

Old 25-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Andyd

Ugh! Chinese Tallow. Bah. Got a huge one in our yard, probably
30-40 feet tall, planted by the previous owners. My wife won't let me
rip it out, well rip it out isn't quite the term I need, I'd probably
have to hire a professional to take it down. All summer long it rains
dead branches on my garden, and at times on me, as every little twig
freezes and dies in the winter and ends up coming down. Plus the
seeds drop all over and I also end up constantly pulling out little
Chinese Tallow trees from the flowerbeds. But pretty much all it is
crowding out are some cedars right now. I will say that it is a
pretty tree, and has good colors in the fall, but if it weren't an
established tree in the yard my wife wouldn't be winning our argument.
I highly recommend *not* planting one, there are far too many good
alternatives to be messing with these things......

Old 25-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Harold Robbins

Katra wrote:

rofl!!!
Here we go again!!! ;-)

I still have a BUNCH of free JL seeds on the trees if anyone wants them,
and several babies in the yard I've not dug up yet...... G

Might be interested. What are JL seeds?

Harold

Old 26-02-2005, 06:47 AM
Katra

In article ,
Harold Robbins wrote:

Katra wrote:

rofl!!!
Here we go again!!! ;-)

I still have a BUNCH of free JL seeds on the trees if anyone wants them,
and several babies in the yard I've not dug up yet...... G

Might be interested. What are JL seeds?

Harold

Japanese Ligustrum...

I'd recommended them as a fast growing, low maintenance hedge plant with
proper trim, and got slammed by others for recommending a "weed" tree.
;-) I love mine and they are prolific and trouble free. I have no
trouble pulling up/weeding out any excess babies that survive.

I actually dig them up and pot them for further hedging.

They get HUGE as a tree but if you prune them properly, I see hedges
made out of them all over town here! I have a few I need to top out back
that are already properly place for privacy hedges...

It's been a couple of weeks since I checked that down branch with all
the seeds... and the waxwings have been flying thru eating them as well
even tho' the berries are supposed to be toxic so I'm not 100% sure if
they are still there...

Ok, just took a quick run out back. :-) The waxwings have pretty well
stripped the trees, but there are two low branches (one of which is
broken and has fallen over my sheds and needs to be removed, but it's
still attached to the tree and is alive) and has a few hundred berries
on it.

They are yours if you want them, and we can dig up a few live baby trees
that survived as well and I've not potted yet.

These trees normally drop thousands of berries every year that shoot up
hundreds of sprouts... the vast majority of which die. They are in
walkways so get stomped to death. Maybe a dozen every year survive and
they get dug up or moved with little effort.