GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   watermelon seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/92004-watermelon-seeds.html)

s 05-04-2005 10:43 PM

watermelon seeds

Are watermelon seeds from summer before last still viable?

--
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S Thompson

Rusty Mase 05-04-2005 11:00 PM

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 20:43:35 GMT, "s" wrote:

Are watermelon seeds from summer before last still viable?

No! Watermelon seeds are typically produced from hybridized plants
and seeds from the ones you grow from those seeds will be in the
process of returning to the wild type. The wild types may be called
citrons and they become more and more like big gourds.

I hope I got these words right. Buying seeds to use each year is
best. I do not know about the other melons but it may apply to them
also.

Rusty Mase

Rusty Mase 06-04-2005 12:26 AM

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 21:21:50 GMT, "s" wrote:

Hmm these seeds were actually from a vine that sprouted after some seeds
were spit onto the ground. We got about 13 melons off of it and it grew into
December.

Well, I would plant them and see what happens. Might make an
interesting experiment.

Rusty Mase