Old 28-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Cowboy

Default Cycad (Sago Palm)

OK, I know they aren't palms or ferns or related, that they are one of
Earth's oldest life forms, have dozens of varieties, and are strange and
wonderful things.

I found one on Craigslist. It's a medium sized plant - the stalk-root is
about 1 1/2 foot across and 3 foot long, with 2 1/2 to 3 ft fronds. The
owner didn't want it around and helped dig it up. We had to cable around
it and jerk it out with a truck. It was in too small a space for its
growth, and he doesn't care for palms, cycads, cactus or succulents. Now
it's in my carport.

I believe it will last ok for a week or so until the scars dry over.
Then I'll sulpher it and plant it. Probably in a large plastic pot - one
that trees or shrubs come in would work. Does anyone in Austin have one?
Did you landscape and have some big pots you don't want to throw away,
but may not really use? I'd like to have one - would pay a reasonable
(cheap) price. Any info on where I can find them commercially also
appreciated.

I removed all the pups. They are 1 1/2 to 6 inches across. I'm potting
and keeping some, but have others that I'll trade. Most interested in
agave, yucca, iris and other lilleacie; cacti and succulents of various
sorts; native perennials, bushes or small trees (like ficus benjamina or
redbud) - anything exotic really.

Cowboy
Old 28-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Katra

In article ,
Cowboy wrote:

[...]

You can get some reallly big pots at "It's About Thyme" down on South
Manchaca for $5.00.

They have ones slightly larger than 5 gallon for that. I've bought some
and we have a Ginko tree planted in one, and I've used the others for
permanent quarters for Wisteria, Passion vine and Clematis.

I have a small cycad in my greenhouse. You will need to protect it
during the winter.

Lovely plants. :-)
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 28-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Cowboy

Katra wrote:
In article ,
Cowboy wrote:

[...]

Yeah - I'm looking for more like 20 gallon minimum. It would contain it
for at least 5 years that way. Thanks for the pointer - I'll go see what
they have.

This one has been living outside on the south side of a house for
several years. They are used a fair amount in landscaping - a lot in
Academic settings (they're all over UT - some truely Big Ones)and
commercial buldings. I know most are tropical and will freeze, but there
are some Chinese varieties that routinely survive snow and ice.

There are some great websites about these critters.

Cowboy
Old 29-04-2005, 03:35 AM
Danny

I have two small sago palms in pots on my front porch. I read somewhere they
were really in the conifer family. They seem to be doing fine. I see them
planted in the ground too, all over town, and they seem to thrive. Sorry I
cannot help you with a big pot, but good luck!

Old 29-04-2005, 06:07 AM
Katra

In article ,
Cowboy wrote:

Katra wrote:
In article ,
Cowboy wrote:

[...]

They may have larger or further suggestions, and most of their prices
are pretty fair. I got a BUNCH of "used" 1 gallon pots from them for 10
cents each!

This one has been living outside on the south side of a house for
several years. They are used a fair amount in landscaping - a lot in
Academic settings (they're all over UT - some truely Big Ones)and
commercial buldings. I know most are tropical and will freeze, but there
are some Chinese varieties that routinely survive snow and ice.

There are some great websites about these critters.

Cowboy

I'll have to check that out.

My herbs do well on the West side of the house.
I have sage, thyme, dittany and marjoram that have survived 4 winters so
far, and I had some dill seeds (leftovers from the dill crop last fall)
come up during the winter and survive the frosts.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 30-04-2005, 07:36 AM
L.A. Rizzo

Just remember those Sagos will kill an animal with just one seed. My dogs
just died a horrible agonizing death this week because some jerk decided to
poison the dogs in my neighborhood with, what we suspect, is Sago palm
seeds.

If you have pets, Sagos should be taboo.

Lori

Old 30-04-2005, 08:17 AM
Katra

In article ,
"L.A. Rizzo" wrote:

Just remember those Sagos will kill an animal with just one seed. My dogs
just died a horrible agonizing death this week because some jerk decided to
poison the dogs in my neighborhood with, what we suspect, is Sago palm
seeds.

If you have pets, Sagos should be taboo.

Lori

You sure?
A much more common poison is Anti-freeze.

My botany Prof. had his sago palm for over 10 years before it ever
produced any cones. Seeds for these are VERY rare! They usually
reproduce by offsets (pups).

Condolences on the loss of your dog, and special hugs for having to
watch him die that way! :-( I lost my Willow dog about 8 months ago to
unknown causes, but the symtoms also pointed towards poison.

I am soooo sorry!

Old 03-05-2005, 12:26 AM
Cowboy

L.A. Rizzo wrote:
Just remember those Sagos will kill an animal with just one seed. My dogs
just died a horrible agonizing death this week because some jerk decided to
poison the dogs in my neighborhood with, what we suspect, is Sago palm
seeds.

If you have pets, Sagos should be taboo.

Lori

I'm not disputing that Cycads can be dangerous to pets, and this one
indeed had seeds - a number of them, but if someone poisoned dogs, it's
more likely castor beans were used as they are more plentiful

I also found this list of plants poisonous to dogs and cats:

ALL BULBS
Amarylillis
Apple Leaf Croton
Autumn Crocus
Avocado (fruit and pit)
Azalea
Baby's Breath
Bittersweet
Bird of Paradise
Branching Ivy
Buckeye
Buddhist Pine
Caladium
Calla Lily
Castor Bean
Ceriman
Charming Dieffenbachia
Chinese Evergreen
Christmas Rose
Cineraria
Clematis
Cordatum
Corn Plant
Cornstalk Plant
Croton
Cuban Laurel
Cutleaf Philodendron
Cycads
Cyclamen
Daffodil
Devil's Ivy
Dianthus
Dieffenbachia
Dracaena Palm
Dragon Tree
Dumb Cane
Dianthus
Elaine
Elephant Ears
Emerald Feather
English Ivy
Fiddle-leaf fig
Florida Beauty
Foxglove
Fruit Salad Plant
Geranium
German Ivy
Giant Dumb Cane
Glacier Ivy
Gold Dieffenbachia
Gold Dust Dracaena
Golden Pothos
Hahn's Self-Branching Ivy
Heartland Philodendron
Hops
Hurricane Plant
Indian Rubber Plant
Janet Craig Dracaena
Jerusalem Cherry
Kalanchoe
Lacy Tree Philodendron
Lily of the Valley
Madagascar Dragon Tree
Marble Queen
Marijuana
Mexican Breadfruit
Miniature Croton
Mistletoe
Morning Glory
Mother-in Law's Tongue
Narcissus
Needlepoint Ivy
Nephytis
Nightshade
Oleander
Onion
Peace Lily
Pencil Cactus
Plumosa Fern
Poinsettia
Poison Ivy
Poison Oak
Pothos
Precatory Bean
Primrose
Red Emerald
Red Princess
Red-Margined Dracaena
Rhododendron
Ribbon Plant
Saddle Leaf Philodendron
Sago Palm
Satin Pothos
Schefflera
Silver Pothos
Spotted Dumb Cane
String of Pearls
Striped Dracaena
Sweetheart Ivy
Swiss Cheese Plant
Taro Vine
Tobacco
Tree Philodendron
Tropic Snow Dieffenbachia
Weeping Fig
Yew

And that's just a _partial_ list.

Notice such things as English Ivy, Primrose, and even Onion!! There are
a lot of things poisonous. Luckily, most dogs won't eat these things,
though some may chew. You just have to be careful.

Cowboy
Old 20-05-2005, 08:23 PM
woz

i don't know where you live in the city but gaddy's on FM 685 north of
1825 in pflugerville sold me a huge pot (sized for trees ) used for $5
and they have new ones for about 30 i think. black plastic. not too
pretty but functional

do you have any offshoots left?

Old 04-06-2005, 08:02 PM
Rodney Smith

I know how dangerous the Castor bean is i lost a dog this week to it. one of
the seeds got away from me terrible thing, i love the plant but i didnt
realize how poisonous they was too dogs and three to four will kill even
humans . so im exercising more care in how i plant them and where
oups.com...