GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   poplar trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/93177-poplar-trees.html)

Eric Gray 29-04-2005 02:57 AM

poplar trees

my husband brought home 20 small poplar trees from job. they were going to
the trash. they are about 4 ft tall. I had thought about planting them along
back fence. I did a search and got a little info on them but I always get
great advice here . I would like to know if they are hard to get started and
do they need a great amount of water after established. Also are they fast
growers and do they do well in this area.. I live in Liberty Hill.
Thanks for any help and input.
crystal

Rusty Mase 29-04-2005 02:07 PM

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 01:57:52 GMT, "Eric Gray"
wrote:

my husband brought home 20 small poplar trees from job.

Crystal, where did you husband obtain these? If they were locally
acquired they must be Cottonwoods, a local relative of Quaking Aspens.

If he brought these back from the more northerly, colder latitudes
then, no they will not grow here, or at least I have never heard of
it.

If they are Cottonwoods, then they will grow but need supplemental
water if not planted along a creek or low area.

Rusty Mase
Austin, Texas

Rusty Mase 29-04-2005 03:29 PM

wrote:

my husband brought home 20 small poplar trees from job.

Whoops, you must be referring to something like Lombardy Poplars - and
I know very little about these. Excuse my previous post.

Rusty Mase
Austin, Texas