GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dumb Squash Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/94867-dumb-squash-question.html)

Tex John 28-05-2005 02:54 AM

Dumb Squash Question

Does it take two squash plants to get fruit?

I bought one yellow crooked neck squash plant at Home Depot last month and
potted it up. This week it grows 2" fruit (squash) with a flower on the end
then it withers and dies. Guess I've never tried it with just one plant
before and was wondering if that's what it was (and even that was 20 years
ago).

John

Victor Martinez 28-05-2005 04:28 AM

Tex John wrote:
Does it take two squash plants to get fruit?

No.

I bought one yellow crooked neck squash plant at Home Depot last month and
potted it up. This week it grows 2" fruit (squash) with a flower on the end
then it withers and dies. Guess I've never tried it with just one plant

Was it a male or a female flower? You'll need both if you want fruit... :)

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Tex John 28-05-2005 01:38 PM

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message news:PzRle.6061

Was it a male or a female flower? You'll need both if you want fruit... :)

One week, the flowers did not grow on the ends of tiny squash; this week
they are. Seems to be an all or nothing affair one way or the other.

John

David 06-06-2005 08:25 PM

Tex John wrote:
"Victor Martinez" wrote in message news:PzRle.6061

Was it a male or a female flower? You'll need both if you want fruit... :)

One week, the flowers did not grow on the ends of tiny squash; this week
they are. Seems to be an all or nothing affair one way or the other.

John

John, both male and female flowers grow on the same squash plant. Male
flowers bloom first, an adaptation that helps make sure there will be a
chance for little squashes when the female flowers bloom.

The flowers are not growing at the ends of your squash; it's the squash
that are growing from the ovaries of the female flowers. All or
nothing, you are correct. It's called sex.

David