GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Looking for plums (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/texas/95460-looking-plums.html)

Gary Brady 07-06-2005 01:58 AM

Looking for plums

Anybody have plums they want to sell? I want to make some jelly.

Gary Brady

James Lee Johnson 13-06-2005 02:09 AM

Gary,

It might be too early in the season to pick most varities of plums. Maybe a
gardner can tell us. In austin.food, "Wooly" said he bought some plums at a
roadside stand near Fredericksburg. They might be an early variety, or they
might be shipped in to augment the stand's produce.

IMHO jam/jelly made from sweet eating plums can lack flavor. I like jam made
from the wild sand plum/Oklahoma plum/sour plum:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o...unusgracil.htm

Sand plums are small, only a bit larger than grapes. They don't grow in
Central Texas. I think it would be worth while to locate a source if you
are going to the troube to make homemade plum jelly. You have time as they
will not be ripe until about August.

jjhnsn

James Lee Johnson 13-06-2005 04:33 AM

Apparently there are several cultivated varieties of plums which do ripen in
early summer. My wife suggested that Jim Kamas, Ag. Extension Agent for
Gillespie County, would know which plum varieties are best for jelly. She
also provided this information:

"Here's a list of peach farms in the Fredricksburg area. Quite a few also
list plums on their websites; however, looks like most of them are harvested
in June. They don't give the varieties of plums grown.
http://www.texaspeaches.com/ "
jjhnsn

Gary Brady 13-06-2005 12:39 PM

"Here's a list of peach farms in the Fredricksburg area. Quite a few also
list plums on their websites; however, looks like most of them are harvested
in June. They don't give the varieties of plums grown.
http://www.texaspeaches.com/ "
jjhnsn

Thanks for that list.

Gary