Old 09-03-2003, 02:39 AM
Wayfarer

Default Tomato cages or stakes?

Hi All,

Question -- has anyone tried stakes vs cages? I've tried stakes in the past
unsuccessfully and always ended up with cages but all of the gardening shows
and books seem to feature staking.

Right now I planted a couple and put cages up -- mostly to protect from my
dog trampling them -- but every year the cages always proof too small and
the plants hang over everywhere. So I'm back to wondering about staking . .
..

Old 09-03-2003, 02:58 AM
WSZsr

I purchased 48" high foldable tomato towers at Home Depot yesterday for
$3.98 each. Much bigger and better than the standard 98 cent cage.

. com...

.

Old 09-03-2003, 05:36 PM
Wayfarer

You mean those square ones? Are they any easier to set up too (hitting rock
with the three legged ones is a real problem).

. ..

Old 10-03-2003, 12:46 AM
WSZsr

Actually they are triangular and they set up very easily. I think they are
more like 54" tall. Can't beat them for $4.

"Wayfarer" wrote in message
. com...
You mean those square ones? Are they any easier to set up too (hitting

rock
with the three legged ones is a real problem).

. ..

Old 11-03-2003, 02:56 AM
Cliff

Whether to stake or cage. According to Malcom Beck, (I attended one of his
lectures this weekend). The cage will out produce the stake by 2 to 1. I
think this assumes that you will use some sort of "grow web" in the
beginning. Good luck.

Old 11-03-2003, 05:57 PM
Karen

"Cliff" wrote in
y.com:
Whether to stake or cage. According to Malcom Beck, (I attended
one of his lectures this weekend). The cage will out produce
the stake by 2 to 1. I think this assumes that you will use
some sort of "grow web" in the beginning. Good luck.

What is a grow web?

Karen
Old 11-03-2003, 05:57 PM
Wayfarer

Thanks -- I remember reading someplace that cages produce more fruit (as
does crowding too close) but stakes produced healitheir plants and larger
fruit --

Has anyone tried growing two of the same variety side by side -- one staked
and one caged?

--
Marta
(if you email me directly you need to remove the X )
y.com...

Wooden tomato stakes. ceed Texas 7 14-06-2005 06:38 PM
tomato stakes Allview Gardening 21 10-07-2003 07:09 PM
Tomato cages or stakes? Wayfarer Texas 6 05-04-2003 12:11 PM
Tomato cages ( was Best place to buy tomato plants, etc.) Karen Texas 7 11-03-2003 03:09 PM
Tomato cages or stakes? Wayfarer Texas 0 09-03-2003 02:39 AM