Old 10-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Alec Powell

Default Garden shed cover up!

Could the NG give me some advice on growing something to grow up/over a
newly erected garden shed.
I propose to plant some kind of climber on it's east facing side. I had
thought of Russian Vine but is it as invasive as I'm led to believe?
Maybe a vigorous ivy?
Your help would be most appreciated.
Thanks for your time,
Alec Powell
--
Alec and Valerie Powell Watlington Oxon. UK

http://www.prole.demon.co.uk

Old 10-03-2003, 07:32 PM
Drakanthus

Could the NG give me some advice on growing something to grow up/over a
newly erected garden shed.
I propose to plant some kind of climber on it's east facing side. I had
thought of Russian Vine but is it as invasive as I'm led to believe?
Maybe a vigorous ivy?
Your help would be most appreciated.
Thanks for your time,
Alec Powell

Clematis is a good option. Lots of varieties to choose. Some are evergreen
if you want to hide the shed all year round.

Russian vine can grow very big very quickly - up to 6 inches PER DAY in
Summer and soon get out of control.

Personally I'm not keen on Ivy - it is a bit boring and not as quick to grow
as Clematis.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 10-03-2003, 10:33 PM
Michael Berridge

Alec Powell wrote in message ...
Could the NG give me some advice on growing something to grow up/over a
newly erected garden shed.
I propose to plant some kind of climber on it's east facing side. I had
thought of Russian Vine but is it as invasive as I'm led to believe?
Maybe a vigorous ivy?
Your help would be most appreciated.

Don't use Russian Vine, unless you are prepared to cut it every week in
summer. I had a good three months work to clear it from a couple of
sheds and get it under control, and it is still managing to get over the
roof again, need another major attack this year as well.
Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 11-03-2003, 12:10 AM
ned

Drakanthus wrote:
Could the NG give me some advice on growing something to grow
up/over a newly erected garden shed.
I propose to plant some kind of climber on it's east facing side.
I had thought of Russian Vine but is it as invasive as I'm led to
believe? Maybe a vigorous ivy?
Your help would be most appreciated.
Thanks for your time,
Alec Powell

Clematis is a good option. Lots of varieties to choose. Some are
evergreen if you want to hide the shed all year round.

Russian vine can grow very big very quickly - up to 6 inches PER
DAY in Summer and soon get out of control.

Personally I'm not keen on Ivy - it is a bit boring and not as
quick to grow as Clematis.

Clematis - yes. It can be controlled !!!
Honeysuckle? Like a lot of clematis, loses leaves in winter.
Russian Vine - rampant. 'Could end up engulfing the shed.
Ivy - Its very tight foliage tends to retain dampness and you could
find the shed rotting away under the camouflage.

--
ned

Old 11-03-2003, 04:34 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:52:16 +0000, Alec Powell
wrote:

Could the NG give me some advice on growing something to grow up/over a
newly erected garden shed.

I mask my shed with a row of buddleias.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 11-03-2003, 09:45 AM

"Alec Powell" wrote in message
Could the NG give me some advice on growing something to grow up/over a
newly erected garden shed.
I propose to plant some kind of climber on it's east facing side. I had
thought of Russian Vine but is it as invasive as I'm led to believe?
Maybe a vigorous ivy?

My personal favourite for fast cover is the Albertine rose. Compared to more
modern varieties, it is more susceptible to disease, has huge thorns and a
short flowering season, but it grows fast and IMO it has one of the best
scents of all.

Colin Bignell

Old 11-03-2003, 07:58 PM
Alec Powell

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice both to the NG and by email.
I think I have decided on a Japanese Honeysuckle, Lonicera japonica
"Halliana".
Any further comments suggestions on this choice?
Thanks for your time,
Alec Powell

Old 24-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Warwick

In article ,
says...
Drakanthus wrote:
Could the NG give me some advice on growing something to grow
up/over a newly erected garden shed.
I propose to plant some kind of climber on it's east facing side.
I had thought of Russian Vine but is it as invasive as I'm led to
believe? Maybe a vigorous ivy?
Your help would be most appreciated.
Thanks for your time,
Alec Powell

Clematis is a good option. Lots of varieties to choose. Some are
evergreen if you want to hide the shed all year round.

Russian vine can grow very big very quickly - up to 6 inches PER
DAY in Summer and soon get out of control.

Personally I'm not keen on Ivy - it is a bit boring and not as
quick to grow as Clematis.

Clematis - yes. It can be controlled !!!

Wilts on accasion unless you consult with a good plantsman to get a
variety less prone to wilt etc, but saying that they are such lovely
plants.

Honeysuckle? Like a lot of clematis, loses leaves in winter.

There are evergreen ones available apparently, although you may lose
some of the heady scent.

Russian Vine - rampant. 'Could end up engulfing the shed.

And next door's shed and the nearest hedges and trees. And then it sets
seed.

Ivy - Its very tight foliage tends to retain dampness and you could
find the shed rotting away under the camouflage.

I'd never thought of that as an issue. You'd get that to a certain
extent with any climber, and also an evergreen honeysuckle.

Can I add in Jasmine to the list, another deciduous plant, but another
scented one with attractive flowers and foliage.

Warwick
Old 25-03-2003, 12:20 AM
ned

Warwick wrote:

snip

Can I add in Jasmine to the list, another deciduous plant, but
another scented one with attractive flowers and foliage.

'Course you can. You are in charge. You can do anything.
If it doesn't work, then you will be the wiser for it. ;-)

--
ned

....... isn't it a shame that common sense
is not all that common.