Old 10-03-2003, 07:09 PM
manxman

Default planting bulbs

Part of my garden is on a steep slope that is hard to get to on a
regular basis
I'm planning of putting a weed suppressent membrane down then cover it
with chippings would it be possible to then plant bulbs after cutting
holes in the membrane are would they not find a way through
Old 10-03-2003, 07:57 PM
Martin Sykes

"manxman" wrote in message
om...
Part of my garden is on a steep slope that is hard to get to on a
regular basis
I'm planning of putting a weed suppressent membrane down then cover it
with chippings would it be possible to then plant bulbs after cutting
holes in the membrane are would they not find a way through

You need to check that what you're putting on the slope will not just wash
down to the bottom. I think bark chippings are OK up to about 1 in 6 and you
can get various grades which will cope with different slopes.

Your bulbs might survive for a while but they'll want to form clumps so
won't all get through the holes you cut. If you use a thick enough layer of
bark, it should stop the weeds on its own and let the bulbs through.

Martin

Old 10-03-2003, 08:21 PM
Tony Morgan

In message , manxman
writes
Part of my garden is on a steep slope that is hard to get to on a
regular basis I'm planning of putting a weed suppressent membrane down
then cover it with chippings would it be possible to then plant bulbs
after cutting holes in the membrane are would they not find a way through

If you mean stone chipping then don't (on a steep slope). You'll finish
up with a pile of stone chippings at the bottom. Use river gravel
instead; it doesn't "walk" downhill like chippings, gravel and scree do,
and will self-support on relatively steep slopes. It's usually cheaper
too (depending on where you live).

For your bulbs, scrape the river gravel back, cut a nine-inch cross in
the membrane and fold back underneath. Plant 3 or 4 bulbs but leave 6"
dia of soil showing. You might get a few weeds around each group, but
they're easy to pluck out.

--
Tony Morgan
Old 30-09-2004, 08:40 PM
The Hoopeses

Martin wrote:
The Keukenhof in Holland has just started to plant 7 million bulbs for
next spring.

How do they recycle all the bulbs they had planted this year? Are those
bulbs reused?

--
Al
Old 01-10-2004, 04:07 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:40:06 +0200, The Hoopeses
wrote:

Martin wrote:
The Keukenhof in Holland has just started to plant 7 million

bulbs for
next spring.

There are 35 people employed to plant the bulbs.

So *each* has to plant around 230,000 bulbs within a few weeks. Some
speed!

Franz

Old 01-10-2004, 06:01 PM
JennyC

"The Hoopeses" wrote in message

Martin wrote:
The Keukenhof in Holland has just started to plant 7 million bulbs for
next spring.

How do they recycle all the bulbs they had planted this year? Are those
bulbs reused?
Al

They bin the lot AFAICR.

it's probably less work intensive to put new ones in each year. Plus I think
they get the bulbs either free or cheaply from the growers. it is after all a
show garden for the trade !

Jenny

Old 01-10-2004, 06:03 PM
JennyC

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 17:37:56 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 15:07:22 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Martin wrote:
The Keukenhof in Holland has just started to plant 7 million
bulbs for
next spring.

There are 35 people employed to plant the bulbs.

So *each* has to plant around 230,000 bulbs within a few weeks.

I was hoping you would work out the number per minute based on a 37
hour working week and two days off for Xmas :-)

whoops all have to be planted by December 5th Jenny will explain the
significance of that date and there are only 30 workers in this report
so 233,333 bulbs each. About 2,300 a day each.

Explanation : http://www.internet-at-work.com/hos_.../abhishek.html
(jenny!)

"De herfst is pas een week oud, maar in de Lissese Keukenhof zijn ze
druk aan het werk voor het komende voorjaar. Voordat de vorst
toeslaat, moeten 7 miljoen bloembollen de grond in. Deze week zijn
dertig medewerkers begonnen met het planten. Het werk moet rond 5
december klaar zijn."
--
Martin

Old 02-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Phil L

JennyC wrote:
:: "The Hoopeses" wrote in message
:: ...
:::
:::
::: Martin wrote:
:::: The Keukenhof in Holland has just started to plant 7 million
:::: bulbs for next spring.
:::
::: How do they recycle all the bulbs they had planted this year?
::: Are those bulbs reused?
:::: Al
::
:: They bin the lot AFAICR.
::
What's the reasons for this?

I ask because in late spring, I dug up about 400 daff bulbs and have allowed
them to dry out over summer...they had been in for ten years and no flowers
were being produced, just the stalks...I needed to get at the beds properly
and fertilise and dig them over etc.
Are my bulbs no good?
Is it not worth replanting them?

Old 02-10-2004, 04:50 PM
Phil L

Martin wrote:
:: On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 15:35:27 GMT, "Phil L"
:: wrote:
::
::: JennyC wrote:
::::: "The Hoopeses" wrote in message
::::: ...
::::::
::::::
:::::: Martin wrote:
::::::: The Keukenhof in Holland has just started to plant 7 million
::::::: bulbs for next spring.
::::::
:::::: How do they recycle all the bulbs they had planted this year?
:::::: Are those bulbs reused?
::::::: Al
:::::
::::: They bin the lot AFAICR.
:::::
::: What's the reasons for this?
::
:: It's probably cheaper to do this than anything else.
:: They are used as cattle feed.
::
What I'm trying to find out is, will they not flower anymore...I have
hundreds of them, are they worth planting out or should I buy new?

Old 02-10-2004, 07:37 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 15:50:19 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

What I'm trying to find out is, will they not flower anymore...I have
hundreds of them, are they worth planting out or should I buy new?

I'd do both! What sort of size are your bulbs? How do they compare
with the ones in the shops? I certainly would not throw them away.

Pam in Bristol

Old 03-10-2004, 03:02 PM
shazzbat

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 15:07:22 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Martin wrote:
The Keukenhof in Holland has just started to plant 7 million

bulbs for
next spring.

There are 35 people employed to plant the bulbs.

So *each* has to plant around 230,000 bulbs within a few weeks.

I was hoping you would work out the number per minute based on a 37
hour working week and two days off for Xmas :-)

Some
speed!

and all done on their hands and knees with a simple bulb planting tool
and probably for the minimum legal salary, or less if the workers are
from eastern Europe.
--
Martin

I was there a few years ago, and we saw someone pulling out bulbs which were
only slightly past their best, and replacing them with bulbs just on the
point of opening. What did surprise me was that the bulbs were planted in
their pots, this makes it easier to substitute them and keep the display
fresh. Incidentally I tried to ask the geezer a couple of questions, but he
appeared to be the only dutchman in holland who didn't speak English!

Oh, and I can well recommend the place, an excellent one to visit.

Steve

Old 03-10-2004, 05:05 PM
JennyC

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 15:02:34 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

I was there a few years ago, and we saw someone pulling out bulbs which were
only slightly past their best, and replacing them with bulbs just on the
point of opening. What did surprise me was that the bulbs were planted in
their pots, this makes it easier to substitute them and keep the display
fresh.

It's open from sometime in March until the end of May so they have to
do something to have the place continuously filled with flowers in
bloom.

Still open till October 17th :~)
http://www.keukenhof.nl/

Every year about this time there's an newspaper article illustrated by
a photo of a man planting bulbs in the ground. Around about mid March
there's photos of people planting flower pots containing bulbs.

Incidentally I tried to ask the geezer a couple of questions, but he
appeared to be the only dutchman in holland who didn't speak English!

Those that work are quite often Polish :-)

Oh, and I can well recommend the place, an excellent one to visit.

Yes

--
Martin