GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Top soil depth (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/100478-top-soil-depth.html)

Broadback 25-07-2005 05:10 PM

Top soil depth

A large area of my garden has no appreciable top soil. I have started
digging out a large bed, which I will fill with top soil. How deep,
ideally, should top soil be?
TIA
--
All replies to this email address are deleted on receipt.

Common sense, not common market.

Mike 25-07-2005 05:24 PM

All replies to this email address are deleted on receipt.

Common sense, not common market.

Try using some then :-((

How long is a piece of string?

Mike Lyle 25-07-2005 05:38 PM

Broadback wrote:
A large area of my garden has no appreciable top soil. I have

started
digging out a large bed, which I will fill with top soil. How

deep,
ideally, should top soil be?
TIA

The length of a piece of string is generally sufficient. Or, to put
it more helpfully, it depends what you want to grow. I'd say that for
practically anything, with "average" subsoil consistency, a spade's
depth should do you most handsomely. An awful lot of garden plants
will do fine on a fraction of that, especially if you can dig in some
organic material underneath (I wouldn't even bother to wait till the
stuff had rotted if I were in a hurry, but I know it's against the
rules). I've grown good ericas in a horrible mixture of subsoil and
stones, and other things with what amounted to only a three-inch
layer of reasonable soil and gone-off silage pricked in on top of
stony clay. There's no soil so bad that it can't be turned into good
soil.

--
Mike.

Emrys Davies 25-07-2005 05:59 PM

"Broadback" wrote in message
A large area of my garden has no appreciable top soil. I have started
digging out a large bed, which I will fill with top soil. How deep,
ideally, should top soil be?
TIA
--
All replies to this email address are deleted on receipt.

Common sense, not common market.

2' or more if you can manage it. Then your taprooting plants
http://en.mimi.hu/gardening/taproot.html
will be able to grow unobstructed.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Mike Lyle 25-07-2005 06:19 PM

Mike Lyle wrote:
Broadback wrote:
A large area of my garden has no appreciable top soil. I have
started digging out a large bed, which I will fill with top soil.
How deep, ideally, should top soil be?
TIA

The length of a piece of string is generally sufficient.[...]

Sorry, I might not have said that if I'd read somebody else's reply.
A man is known by the company he keeps.

--
Mike.