Old 28-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Kay

In article , Mike Lyle mike_lyle_uk@REMO
VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
[...]
grower - his daughter trained as a physioterrorist with my mother.

Better than the one my daughter referred to as "Physio the rapist". I
told her we were lucky he wasn't a psycho.

Another unfortunate splittable word is mans-laughter
--
Kay

Old 28-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Sacha

On 28/7/05 10:25, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sue Begg writes:

| Is it worth mentioning the fact that the US is so vast that they don't
| need to go abroad. They can get to visit almost any type of climate they
| wish and travel much further than most Brits do on their travels, within
| the US

It is also worth mentioning that both are common myths.

Firstly, it has only a few climate types - a hell of a lot more
than the UK, but many less than the British Empire (over which
the sun never set, natch).

Secondly, most people in the USA don't even leave their vicinity
(which may be physically large, but is often very homogeneous).

One survey I read about some time ago, stated that most Americans marry
someone living within 30 miles of their home town.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 28-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Sue Begg contains these words:

It was a lifetime's ambition to see Macchu Pichu and we went last year
for our honeymoon. First and probably only time abroad as I have no
interest in standard sun, sea, resort type holidays.

Well, having discovered that it's possible to travel abroad for more
interesting pursuitss, I can't understand why you never want to do it
again!

I have no desire to visit Khartoum, Los Angeles, Houston, Austin
or indeed most of Sudan or Texas ever again. But that may not
be what you meant.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-07-2005, 11:04 PM
Harold Walker

" |
| Is it worth mentioning the fact that the US is so vast that they don't
| need to go abroad. They can get to visit almost any type of climate
they
| wish and travel much further than most Brits do on their travels,
within
| the US

It is also worth mentioning that both are common myths.

Firstly, it has only a few climate types - a hell of a lot more
than the UK, but many less than the British Empire (over which
the sun never set, natch).

Secondly, most people in the USA don't even leave their vicinity
(which may be physically large, but is often very homogeneous).

One survey I read about some time ago, stated that most Americans marry
someone living within 30 miles of their home town.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

A number of postings suggested I was not qualified re England of
today......seems as though others appear to be qualified re USA of
today....wonder why the difference....

Old 28-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Harold Walker wrote:

A number of postings suggested I was not qualified re England of
today......seems as though others appear to be qualified re USA of
today....wonder why the difference....

You weren't a member of the Junior Jet Club?

[ A small prize to anyone who recognises the reference. ]

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Harold Walker wrote:

A number of postings suggested I was not qualified re England of
today......seems as though others appear to be qualified re USA of
today....wonder why the difference....

You weren't a member of the Junior Jet Club?

[ A small prize to anyone who recognises the reference. ]

I wasn't, but... Dan Dare on Radio Lux? BOAC? I'll plump for the
latter.

--
Mike.

Old 28-07-2005, 11:38 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Harold Walker wrote:

A number of postings suggested I was not qualified re England of
today......seems as though others appear to be qualified re USA of
today....wonder why the difference....

You weren't a member of the Junior Jet Club?

[ A small prize to anyone who recognises the reference. ]

I wasn't, but... Dan Dare on Radio Lux? BOAC? I'll plump for the
latter.

Your prize is the Nick Maclaren accolade for Good Guessing. Yes,
back in the days when it was Better On A Camel (and don't ask what
people were doing on the camel), and the Comet started to replace
the Viscount, BOAC did one of the inane publicity exercises for
underage passengers. I think I still have my certificate somewhere.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-07-2005, 11:46 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Harold Walker wrote:

A number of postings suggested I was not qualified re England of
today......seems as though others appear to be qualified re USA

of
today....wonder why the difference....

You weren't a member of the Junior Jet Club?

[ A small prize to anyone who recognises the reference. ]

I wasn't, but... Dan Dare on Radio Lux? BOAC? I'll plump for the
latter.

Your prize is the Nick Maclaren accolade for Good Guessing. Yes,
back in the days when it was Better On A Camel (and don't ask what
people were doing on the camel), and the Comet started to replace
the Viscount, BOAC did one of the inane publicity exercises for
underage passengers. I think I still have my certificate

somewhere.

Uncle and family went back to Oz on the first Comet flight champagne
and all. I've put the Accolade on the mantelpiece with my Nobel: it
looks lovely, thank you.

--
Mike.

Old 29-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from martin contains these words:

Another piece of crisp guinea
pig crackling and a glass of elder flower wine?

Please save me the guineapig skins, everyone..I'm sewing them
together to make myself a moose.

Whit for do ye no' gang fur broke an' mak' yersel' a rat?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 29-07-2005, 12:03 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:27:52 +0000 (UTC), "Mike"
wrote:
"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:13:35 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:
The message
from martin contains these words:

Another piece of crisp guinea
pig crackling and a glass of elder flower wine?

Please save me the guineapig skins, everyone..I'm sewing them
together to make myself a moose.

Whoops cleans reading glasses I read that as noose.

Seems like a very good idea

Janet has a home knitted blunt guillotine reserved for you

I heard she was growing red-hot pokers.

Old 29-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

I was beginning to think the unthinkable, that "I" was wrong!

Quite unthinkable.

Old 29-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Harold Walker

Janet has a home knitted blunt guillotine reserved for you

I heard she was growing red-hot pokers.

LOL!
--
Martin

Would some kind soul please explain what is behind the comments re
Janet....surely she must be human