Old 29-07-2005, 03:11 PM
Harold Walker

Ayup mi Duck.....if your brew is only 50 times better than my last (and
final) attempt at Rhubarb wine, then I would rather be locked in a
compartment alone with THAT woman on the Glasgow to Capetown slooow train,
thanks very much !
Mine was so bad it was classed as a WMD by Princess Bliar. Ideal for
cleaning the patio or for a DIY vasectomy though.
No.....real ale or scotch, or nowt !

Visited Taddy Ales Brewery a few years back and got a super recipe for
GROWING and using rhubarb from the head brewmaster who used to make his own
'strong stuff'...now this is truly a gardening subject...up to now that
is......got me an 80 gallon used wine barrel and brewed me a batch of
wine...put to use a 5 gallon pressure cooker....attached a 75 ft. length of
copper tubing and on to the gas burner it went....pretty soon the fan cooled
coiled tubing was dripping out what was to become some very drinkable
spirits....all told, after double distilling and adding a bottle of port
wine landed up filling a 10 gallon charred oak barrel with 150 proof
stuff...(no, I did not drink neat....added enough ice to bring down to the
100 or so mark)...believe me it was good ...so good in fact I decided to
give the pressure cooker away...it was decidely in my best interests.

Old 29-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Sue

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
In my view, Cloaca Cola (with apologies to Raymond) is drinkable
provided that it is at least 60 degrees Fahrenheit colder than
the ambient temperature. And still liquid.

When you finally discover that 2 thirds full bottle of gone-flat Cola that
you bought last Christmas for young visitors, you can pour it down the pan
and leave a few hours. It's quite an efficient toilet cleaner. Possibly not
very environmentally friendly though.

Old 29-07-2005, 03:27 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ws.net,
"Sue" writes:
| "Nick Maclaren" wrote
|
| In my view, Cloaca Cola (with apologies to Raymond) is drinkable
| provided that it is at least 60 degrees Fahrenheit colder than
| the ambient temperature. And still liquid.
|
| When you finally discover that 2 thirds full bottle of gone-flat Cola that
| you bought last Christmas for young visitors, you can pour it down the pan
| and leave a few hours. It's quite an efficient toilet cleaner. Possibly not
| very environmentally friendly though.

It also works as a rust remover. Actually, I believe that it is
fairly harmless, ecologically, being mainly water, sugar, phosphoric
acid, caramel and caffeine. God alone knows what the 'light'
stuff contains - that could be arbitrarily toxic.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Harold Walker

)

A number of postings suggested I was not qualified re England of
today......seems as though others appear to be qualified re USA of
today....wonder why the difference....

That's easy. We read and travel more widely - and take it in.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

From what I have read that might apply to some but is so general a statement
that it really makes me wonder about Sacha......must admit I have not
travelled as much as you seem to have but I suspect you are an exception to
the average English person......my travels have been limited to the Africas,
the middle east and a wee bit further east than that not to mention the med
etc. etc....I do not count Alaska as that is USA territory nor Canada as
that is the equivalant of a Yorkshireman going down south to Cornwall as
Canada is so close to Cape Cod....spitting distance that is...only about 500
miles away and a pleasant day's driving with ample time for a couple of
snorts before bed-time.....nor do I count the 50 odd states in the USA as
that is home territory even tho it be 3000 across and over a couple of
thousand down....I envy you and all of your travels...you must truly be the
great exception.

Old 29-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Sacha

On 29/7/05 14:42, in article , "Harold
Walker" wrote:

)

A number of postings suggested I was not qualified re England of
today......seems as though others appear to be qualified re USA of
today....wonder why the difference....

That's easy. We read and travel more widely - and take it in.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

From what I have read that might apply to some but is so general a statement
that it really makes me wonder about Sacha......must admit I have not
travelled as much as you seem to have but I suspect you are an exception to
the average English person......my travels have been limited to the Africas,
the middle east and a wee bit further east than that not to mention the med
etc. etc....I do not count Alaska as that is USA territory nor Canada as
that is the equivalant of a Yorkshireman going down south to Cornwall as
Canada is so close to Cape Cod....spitting distance that is...only about 500
miles away and a pleasant day's driving with ample time for a couple of
snorts before bed-time.....nor do I count the 50 odd states in the USA as
that is home territory even tho it be 3000 across and over a couple of
thousand down....I envy you and all of your travels...you must truly be the
great exception.

I don't think I'm especially well travelled, compared to a lot of Britons.
Many go abroad for holidays at least once a year; some go more than once.
Some of the young, in particular, now spend a gap year abroad after A levels
and go from one country to another.
The only thing I've done that is a little more unusual is to spend the best
part of a year sailing from northern Spain to Cyprus, many years ago.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 29-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Mike

"Harold Walker" wrote in message

)

A number of postings suggested I was not qualified re England of
today......seems as though others appear to be qualified re USA of
today....wonder why the difference....

That's easy. We read and travel more widely - and take it in.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

From what I have read that might apply to some but is so general a

statement
[...]

I think you will find that the great British person is now travelling a lot
more, and doing it in such a way that they only need to unpack once: I mean
cruising. The world is now a very small place and with either home to home
cruising such as P&O use Southampton, or fly/cruise whereby you can be flown
out/back and cruise to various places, it makes the world even smaller. When
we booked our World Cruise for next year in February of this year, we had a
very small selection of upper grade cabins because they had already gone
...... 12 months before the cruise date, and the Christmas/New Year Cruise
for 2006/7, yes 18 months away is already well and truly booked with people
queuing for cancellations. Each of these cruises takes you to different
places and tours and excursions out.

We have now only done 3 cruises but the parts of the World and its history
has been an education, even in our latter years.

Yes people are travelling a lot more, I know of 5 families alone who have
cruised on P & O's Aurora, parts of my family have visited China, India,
Florida, right across America with the Arab Horse Society, (my daughter used
to breed Arabs) South Africa, Australia, Germany, Italy, Austria.

No we are not the exception, the great British public are 'getting about'.

Mike
P & O R601 if anyone wants for track our course.

Old 29-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Harold Walker

That's easy. We read and travel more widely - and take it in.

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

I don't think I'm especially well travelled, compared to a lot of Britons.
Many go abroad for holidays at least once a year; some go more than once.
Some of the young, in particular, now spend a gap year abroad after A
levels
and go from one country to another.
The only thing I've done that is a little more unusual is to spend the
best
part of a year sailing from northern Spain to Cyprus, many years ago.
Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Then it might suggest that the above statement re 'taking it in' etc. does
not apply to you and is a generality for which, I presume, you have little
data to support it....unless of course you have done extensive research into
the American travel habits versus the English travel habits and their
absorbtion capabilities....bully for you if you have and if you have I offer
my sincere apologies.......H

Old 29-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Mike" writes:

| P & O R601 if anyone wants for track our course.

.. . . tracking . . . locked on . . . torpedoes away . . .

Oops! All a misunderstanding. I didn't mean that, really.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Would some kind soul please explain what is behind the comments re
Janet....surely she must be human

Janet doesn't suffer fools gladly.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 29-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

and coca for Coca Cola?

Vot about the rum to go with the C C

# Working for the Yankee dollar? /#

Old 29-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "vsop" contains these words:

I'd very much like to buy you a beer sometime........and you could respond
with a single malt !
vsop

Very Special Old Pulteney?

Old 29-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "vsop" contains these words:

Ayup mi Duck.....if your brew is only 50 times better than my last (and
final) attempt at Rhubarb wine, then I would rather be locked in a
compartment alone with THAT woman on the Glasgow to Capetown slooow train,
thanks very much !
Mine was so bad it was classed as a WMD by Princess Bliar. Ideal for
cleaning the patio or for a DIY vasectomy though.
No.....real ale or scotch, or nowt !

You forgot to treat the liquor with powdered chalk before brewing...

Old 29-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:
The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from martin contains these words:

Another piece of crisp guinea
pig crackling and a glass of elder flower wine?

Please save me the guineapig skins, everyone..I'm sewing them
together to make myself a moose.

Whit for do ye no' gang fur broke an' mak' yersel' a rat?

Oh dear. I was going to commission you to fashion a pair of antlers
out of recycled bones, but now I'm not sure you'll get the scale right
:~{

Oh deer...