Old 29-07-2005, 05:24 PM
BAC

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

I hope they won't. Back in the good old days in 1950's industrial
Lancashire winters were blighted with thick filthy smog.

But, looking on the bright side, there was very little black spot on the
roses in urban gardens in those days :-)

But on the downside, roses in urban gardens were usually garish
HTs(sticks for half the year) and mildewed ramblers. :-(

And very nice they were, too (I don't remember much mildew). There were also
hollyhocks which stayed healthy for years and years :-)

Old 29-07-2005, 05:27 PM
BAC

"martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:48:53 +0100, "BAC"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:17:41 +0100, "BAC"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message

....I was but a
scholarship kid at a public school and being of a "working class
family"
money did not exactly grow on a tree

Do you think that experience in your formative years might go some

way
explaining your apparent preoccupation with the British 'class

system'?

Not a preoccupation, just a very aware fact that there 'is' a class

system
in this country and it is alive and well.

Sorry, I thought the ex-pat had posted the bit about his education,

not
you,
my mistake.

Think in terms of Peter Brough and Archie Andrews.

Very good on the wireless, I thought ...

Foreigners never believe that.

What, that his lips never moved?

Old 29-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Vot about the rum to go with the C C

Not even rum can make CC drinkable.

I'm with you there, 100%. (If nor more)

Now *A* CC is another matter: a cocktail consisting of coconut water,
freshly-squeezed orange juice, grenadine and white rum.

Met it and fell in love with it on a small Italian cruise liner which
was docked at Tilbury. A friend was resident keyboard player and I
dropped by to see him.

I can't remember what the ship was called, but she had been sunk during
the war, raised afterwards, repaired, refitted and was still doing
Caribbean cruises at the end of the 'seventies. A very pretty ship.

'CC', BTW, is pronounced Italian-style - 'Chi-Chi'.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 29-07-2005, 05:37 PM
BAC

"Mike" wrote in message

snip

So it's not just me?

Oh good

I was beginning to think the unthinkable, that "I" was wrong!

Churchill once said that he thought he was mistaken, but then he realised
his mistake was thinking he was mistaken. He was joking, of course.

Old 29-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Visited Taddy Ales Brewery a few years back and got a super recipe for
GROWING and using rhubarb from the head brewmaster who used to make
his own
'strong stuff'...now this is truly a gardening subject...up to now that
is......

gardening mode="continue"

My rhubarb, planted in the spring of 2004 as a crown about the size of a
small parsnip, no sticks pulled in 2004 and only sparingly pulled this
year.

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/...n/rhubarb0.jpg

Taken a few weeks ago, it's spread a bit more since then...

--
Rusty
Old 29-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message ws.net
from "Sue" contains these words:
"Nick Maclaren" wrote

In my view, Cloaca Cola (with apologies to Raymond) is drinkable
provided that it is at least 60 degrees Fahrenheit colder than
the ambient temperature. And still liquid.

When you finally discover that 2 thirds full bottle of gone-flat Cola that
you bought last Christmas for young visitors, you can pour it down the pan
and leave a few hours. It's quite an efficient toilet cleaner. Possibly not
very environmentally friendly though.

Also good for etching stainless steel.

Old 29-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

African safari or Cambodia would be great if the lottery decides to be
kind to me :-)

Not Greece and the Greek islands? Turkey? Wonderful places, packed with
fascination, IMO.

You're welcome. I'd fancy going to Iceland, the Faroes, the Falklands,
or if I could put the clock back fifty years, Polynesia.

Old 29-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

From what I have read that might apply to some but is so general a
statement
that it really makes me wonder about Sacha......must admit I have not
travelled as much as you seem to have but I suspect you are an exception to
the average English person......my travels have been limited to the
Africas,
the middle east and a wee bit further east than that not to mention the med
etc. etc....I do not count Alaska as that is USA territory nor Canada as
that is the equivalant of a Yorkshireman going down south to Cornwall as
Canada is so close to Cape Cod....spitting distance that is...only
about 500
miles away and a pleasant day's driving with ample time for a couple of
snorts before bed-time.....nor do I count the 50 odd states in the USA as
that is home territory even tho it be 3000 across and over a couple of
thousand down....I envy you and all of your travels...you must truly be the
great exception.

Hey! I've been abroad! I've been to Wales...

Ducks and runs away, FAST.

Old 29-07-2005, 05:50 PM
BAC

"Harold Walker" wrote in message

snip

A number of postings suggested I was not qualified re England of
today......seems as though others appear to be qualified re USA of
today....wonder why the difference....

No difference whatsoever. Other than that most posters on this group are
unable to recognise or take issue with misconceptions about the USA, so it's
perhaps easier to get away with them here.

Old 29-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:
That's easy. We read and travel more widely - and take it in.

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

I don't think I'm especially well travelled, compared to a lot of Britons.
Many go abroad for holidays at least once a year; some go more than once.
Some of the young, in particular, now spend a gap year abroad after A
levels
and go from one country to another.
The only thing I've done that is a little more unusual is to spend the
best
part of a year sailing from northern Spain to Cyprus, many years ago.
Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Then it might suggest that the above statement re 'taking it in' etc. does
not apply to you and is a generality for which, I presume, you have little
data to support it....unless of course you have done extensive
research into
the American travel habits versus the English travel habits and their
absorbtion capabilities....bully for you if you have and if you have I
offer
my sincere apologies.......H

I could tell you a few horror stories of USanian tourists (I don't mean
the usual jokes), but I'll make do with one of the other sort.

It was at the (now defunct) Auchterarder Highland Games that the Mayor
of Chicago, of Scottish extraction, decided to enter the tossing the
caber event.

He was booed back to the changing-rooms because he was wearing tracksuit
trousers under his kilt...

....he returned cold and trouserless and the event started.

He was - er - somewhat past his prime, and carrying a bit too much bay
window before, but had a good heave and the caber sort-of toppled and
fell forward a few feet.

I think it was Arthur Rowe who sent the first one up, to fall on its top
and topple away from him, and our mayor tried and tried, and the crowd
became hushed. He kept on trying until he managed to get the caber to
land and topple as it should.

The Mayor beamed and the crowd erupted with genuine applause, respecting
his grit and determination. He got a longer, louder ovation than the
winner.

Old 29-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Mike" writes:

P & O R601 if anyone wants for track our course.

. . . tracking . . . locked on . . . torpedoes away . . .

Oops! All a misunderstanding. I didn't mean that, really.

Gott in Himmel, Torps! Get some vordammte eye-glassen! Qvite clearly
is it hier "P&O" sayink, nicht "PQ"!

--
Mike.

Old 29-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Mike

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Mike" writes:

P & O R601 if anyone wants for track our course.

. . . tracking . . . locked on . . . torpedoes away . . .

Oops! All a misunderstanding. I didn't mean that, really.

Gott in Himmel, Torps! Get some vordammte eye-glassen! Qvite clearly
is it hier "P&O" sayink, nicht "PQ"!

--

"I say old chap, that was rather silly of you, you've started two world wars
and lost both, why start another? Third time lucky? """I think not""" (with

Old 29-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Harold Walker

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

and coca for Coca Cola?

Vot about the rum to go with the C C

# Working for the Yankee dollar? /#

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

'aint' worth much these days...but back then down in the Caribean bought a
lot of "fun"