Old 30-07-2005, 09:57 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Harold Walker wrote:

That's true, but I have grown marigolds as a crop, too. SURELY
you know what to do with them? Eer, ooh and all that.

Nay lad I do not....prithee tell me...but not too plainly

Well, since you have called my bluff :-)

They are a traditional ingredient in hairwash, a flavouring used
in cooking, the source of a tisane, and an ingredient in pot
pourri. There may be other uses, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-07-2005, 09:59 PM
Harold Walker

That's true, but I have grown marigolds as a crop, too. SURELY
you know what to do with them? Eer, ooh and all that.

Nay lad I do not....prithee tell me...but not too plainly

Well, since you have called my bluff :-)

They are a traditional ingredient in hairwash, a flavouring used
in cooking, the source of a tisane, and an ingredient in pot
pourri. There may be other uses, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Think I will stick to the likes of Rosemary...excuse the common name but I
am in Yankee land

Old 30-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Mike Lyle

Harold Walker wrote:
[...]
Think I will stick to the likes of Rosemary...excuse the common

name
but I am in Yankee land

You think Rosemary a common name? Hmm...no, I know flower names can
be tricky, but I think it quite refined. Dear Rosemary Woolf, for
example, a fine medievalist, certainly loved her fast cars and her
tipple, but that kind of zing was surely rather dashing than vulgar:
"common" would never have occurred to me in a thousand years.

--
Mike.

Old 30-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Harold Walker

Hence also my quest earlier for collard greens, which are now being
decimated by pigeons and caterpillars!

Pam in Bristol

Have you tried covering with floating row cover....keeps 'em both out.....H
on CC

Old 31-07-2005, 12:16 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

No - it was widely aired on GQT three or four years ago, and AFAIK
hasn't either been dumped or used.

I think what they said was that they could not recommend it for use
but what you did in your own garden was entirely up to you! (and that
applies to a lot of things!)

I think they were rather more caustic than that, but it was Armatillox,
Jeyes Fluid and other preparations which couldn't be used in the usual
way - or which couldn't claim to be effective unless expensively tested
- which carried that caveat.

As I remember it, the rhubarb juice was just said to be illegal to use,
and traces of scorn could be detected in the wording...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 31-07-2005, 01:09 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Did you read it before the war?

I have read pre-war papers.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Curiosity.....did you read the pre-war papers after the war or before the
war when they were just printed and what war?

I've read pre-war papers and reprints of some, but post-war. And that
would be WWII.

Old 31-07-2005, 01:14 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

I have read pre-war papers.

Good, so what is the difference between the current Daily Express and
the pre-war version?

The pre-war Express was almost literature, and was balanced AFAICT. I
haven't looked at recent issues.

Old 31-07-2005, 01:19 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Another thing I found was that, as I think Rusty hinted, the
rhubarb-leaf stuff breaks down in the environment in twenty-four
hours. (I once tried boiling up some tobacco for garden purposes, but
the smell was so unbearable that I chucked it out.)

I used to grow tobacco, and cure the leaves. The baccy was good, too,
but I've given up smoking since. I did try making insecticide with the
waste, and it was effective, but didn't keep.

Old 31-07-2005, 01:20 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

I can grow what I like, eat what I like, etc. What did you think I
meant? Not many people grow marigolds as a crop!

I used to - I used the petals in a type of cheese.

Old 31-07-2005, 01:25 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

For secconds : all those who can not expend the effort to trim quoted
text,,,, oh no not that old sawfly !
Or if they cant expend the effort to save us from scrolling to the
bottom of the post to see an idiotic one-liner, at least put the one
line at the top ,,, oh, why do I bother ,,, ?

Am glad to see someone prescribing top posting one liners

The way you've done that post is far preferable.

Old 31-07-2005, 09:32 AM
Harold Walker

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message

I've read pre-war papers and reprints of some, but post-war. And that
would be WWII.
--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Which means of course you are still a 'youngster' Rusty, by my standards
anyway cos I read 'em before that war...still remember our Sunday morning
treat when dad brought us breakfast in bed plus the newspaper to read...back
then I believe it was the News of The world.....H