Old 31-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Mike

Which means of course you are still a 'youngster' Rusty, by my standards
anyway cos I read 'em before that war...still remember our Sunday morning
treat when dad brought us breakfast in bed plus the newspaper to

read...back
then I believe it was the News of The world.....H

News of the World
The People
Sunday Pictorial
Sunday Express
The Despatch
Sunday Graphic
The Observer
Reynolds News
The Sunday Times

in order of popularity on my 1947 Paper Round ;-)

Old 31-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Harold Walker

I used to grow tobacco, and cure the leaves. The baccy was good, too,
but I've given up smoking since. I did try making insecticide with the
waste, and it was effective, but didn't keep.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

that too I grew around 1947 but gave it away to a friend who used it for
'chewing baccy'....was too strong for me....quit smoking anywaymany many
moons ago....H

Old 31-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Harold Walker

in order of popularity on my 1947 Paper Round ;-)

1947....working at Rowntrees as a Planning Clerk...the so called beginning
of my 'Industrial career'...that did not last too long....figured navy life
was better so rejoined for a few more years....H

Old 31-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Mike

"Harold Walker" wrote in message

in order of popularity on my 1947 Paper Round ;-)

1947....working at Rowntrees as a Planning Clerk...the so called beginning
of my 'Industrial career'...that did not last too long....figured navy

life
was better so rejoined for a few more years....H

One of the GPO Telephone Students I had when I was teaching in Leamington
Spa, had in the past worked for Rowntrees, 'stiring chocolate for two whole
days' ;-))

Mike

Old 31-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message

I've read pre-war papers and reprints of some, but post-war. And that
would be WWII.

Which means of course you are still a 'youngster' Rusty, by my standards
anyway cos I read 'em before that war...still remember our Sunday morning
treat when dad brought us breakfast in bed plus the newspaper to
read...back
then I believe it was the News of The world.....H

I don't remember reading newspapers until after the war. I took (rather,
was given) the Children's Newspaper, and occasionally glanced at the Ole
Man's Daily Telegraph. (I don't think he was best pleased when I got
into crosswords, and when he was stumped, used to finish them for
him...)

Old 31-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

I used to grow tobacco, and cure the leaves. The baccy was good, too,
but I've given up smoking since. I did try making insecticide with the
waste, and it was effective, but didn't keep.

that too I grew around 1947 but gave it away to a friend who used it for
'chewing baccy'....was too strong for me....quit smoking anywaymany many
moons ago....H

I used to cure stuff which varied from Force 1 to Force 12 on the
Beaufort Scale.

The mildest was suitable for cigarettes, and was cured using honey and
whisky. Once, drying some which had been a bit liberally dosed with 'the
creature', and was still too wet to slice, I overheated it a bit on top
of the stove and ended up with a lightly toasted tobacco not unlike
Gauloises, and that became a stock formula. (Patrick Lichfield was
favourably inclined towards it.)

Hurricane-strength stuff was started by bruising, and augmented by the
addition of molasses and dark rum before being rolled very tightly and
bound in whipcord till the juices oozed.

If you opened a biscuit tin in my house then, there'd be stacks of thin
carrot-shaped 'mummies' inside, and a delicious aroma of rum, whisky or
brandy would become apparant...

Old 31-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Mike

I don't remember reading newspapers until after the war. I took (rather,
was given) the Children's Newspaper,

Ah!! Arthur Mee if I remember correctly :-))

Old 31-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Harold Walker

If you opened a biscuit tin in my house then, there'd be stacks of thin
carrot-shaped 'mummies' inside, and a delicious aroma of rum, whisky or
brandy would become apparant...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

More than likely by far better a aroma when being smoked than the average
commercial 'joint'..H

Old 31-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Harold Walker

..

Oh yes it has. It's only since the war that it's joined the Dandy and
the Sun.

--
Martin

Ah, the Sun....was amazed to see the number of folk reading such a trashy
newspaper when on my recent trip....I know it to be trashy as I wondered why
so many were buying it...bought one and found out....that 'aint' a
newspaper.

Old 31-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Sally Holmes

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Harold Walker" wrote in message

what are the requirements for a newspaper to be called 'a real
newspaper'?

That it gets the fire going even when damp :~)

I was told (mumble years ago) that The Grauniad was best for lighting fires.
But most newspapers have changed the formula for their ink these days, as
people didn't like smudgy hands.

Sally H

Old 31-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Mike

I was told (mumble years ago) that The Grauniad was best for lighting

fires.
But most newspapers have changed the formula for their ink these days, as
people didn't like smudgy hands.

Sally H

The Glass Blowers at Cockington in Devon told me that the Financial Times is
an ideal newspaper to form into a wet pad for shaping :-))

Mike

Old 31-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Harold Walker wrote:

Ah, the Sun....was amazed to see the number of folk reading such a trashy
newspaper when on my recent trip....I know it to be trashy as I wondered why
so many were buying it...bought one and found out....that 'aint' a
newspaper.

That's because it isn't one - it's a nudespaper.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Harold Walker

..

That's because it isn't one - it's a nudespaper.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Not even worth using in a manner that it was used by many a poorer household
in the days of old....H

Old 31-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Mike

"Harold Walker" wrote in message
.

That's because it isn't one - it's a nudespaper.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Not even worth using in a manner that it was used by many a poorer

household
in the days of old....H

Ah! The cut squares with a piece of string holding them together and hung on
a nail on the inside wall at the bottom of the garden ;-))

Mike

Old 31-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Harold Walker

Not even worth using in a manner that it was used by many a poorer

household
in the days of old....H

Ah! The cut squares with a piece of string holding them together and hung
on
a nail on the inside wall at the bottom of the garden ;-))////////////with
a weekly visitor stopping by

Mike

Yes sir, but some were too lazy to cut into squares...just tore off a piece
as needed......H