Old 26-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Just spent a couple of weeks in what once was "Great Britain".....would
not give tuppence for living there now....it aint what it used to be and
not by a long shot....I used to love to ride the trains to see the
beautiful
looking gardens at the back of the houses along the railroad tracks....no
more....most of them looked ugly with huge weed patches and broken down
greenhouses etc....looks as tho the pride that once was there has gone
elsewhere....

American visitors on trains telling Brits all about Britain, you have
to laugh.

Last week I was sitting on a train to Glasgow reading the latest news
about London attacks and an apparently middle-class, educated,
well-dressed American tourist said "say, we've been in two
security-evacuations here in Scotland since we arrived on the 5th, but
everyone was completely calm....we don't understand it. Aren't you folks
scared of bombs?" I replied something about nothing new, IRA on the
mainland, Blitz etc. He looked at me blankly and said "But England has
never been attacked before". His wife looked mortified and said " I
think they were bombed in the war, dear", to which he hastily replied "I
meant, England has never been attacked within living memory".

Janet.
Old 26-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Mike Lyle

Harold Walker wrote:
" I suggest you either see for yourself, or take your views from
someone
who has been here for more than 'a couple of weeks'.
--
Kay
"Do not insult the crocodile until you have crossed the

river"

Suspect I saw more of the UK in a couple of weeks than most English
folk see in a year....from Lancahsire to Yorkshire to Bristol way

and
point in between and then bcak over to the east coastal area

before
taking in the south shore....H

I wonder if there's truth in the observation that the gardens one
sees from trains and roads aren't what they were. Somebody mentioned
upthread the effect the railway has on the desirability of a house:
perhaps ones beside the lines are now more likely to be in multiple
rented occupancy. If true, this would explain neglect of the garden.
In another development of recent decades, many houses beside town
streets have lost their front gardens in favour of off-street
parking.

Otherwise, Harold's missed some treats: as Kay says, people who do
garden are doing it as least as well as ever, and often with more
originality. (And often with more originality than taste, but that's
none of my business!) So next time you're over, Harold, let us know,
and maybe some of us could give you a steer.

Bleep bleep! Pun alert red!
....and not a bum steer, either. Bum, bum!
Pun alert back to amber unless Rusty's around.

--
Mike.

Old 26-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Harold Walker

Otherwise, Harold's missed some treats: //////Harold may have missed some
treats but overdosed on many others......I did not spend all of my time on
the UK trains....H Mike.

Old 26-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Lower deck of what? Landlocked Nuneaton in Warwickshire seems a very odd
place for a lower deck rating to be based. Noted originally for its
castle, silk, mining and railway engineering.

HMS Gamecock....many a navy base was landlocked....or shud I say many a
Fleet Air Arm station was landlocked....in my days of old many a 'week-end
warrior' spent time there.....H

I've seen it alleged that the Germans claimed to have sunk HMS Ganges in
(IIRC) the second great unpleasantness.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 26-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Otherwise, Harold's missed some treats: as Kay says, people who do
garden are doing it as least as well as ever, and often with more
originality. (And often with more originality than taste, but that's
none of my business!) So next time you're over, Harold, let us know,
and maybe some of us could give you a steer.

Yeah - "Right hand down a bit, No 1!"

Bleep bleep! Pun alert red!
....and not a bum steer, either. Bum, bum!
Pun alert back to amber unless Rusty's around.

No, I'm sort-of tall and lanky innit.

Old 26-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Harold Walker

..

HMS Gamecock....many a navy base was landlocked....or shud I say many a
Fleet Air Arm station was landlocked....in my days of old many a
'week-end
warrior' spent time there.....H

I've seen it alleged that the Germans claimed to have sunk HMS Ganges in
(IIRC) the second great unpleasantness.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

My only experience with the sinking of a ship was one I was aboard in
1943.....I was on my way home on leave from HMS Daedulus and one young
seaman was telling of his exploits aboard that same ship and he was on leave
after it had been torpedoed....(it must have been the only name of a ship he
knew...looked like a kid fresh out of school with pure 'bumfluff' on his
chin.)......Daedalus was another landlocked base close to Pompey....H

Old 26-07-2005, 08:26 PM
vsop

Blimey.......what a wide ranging thread ! And all because of a row of
raspberries !
Still, thanks everyone, I've certainly learnt a lot, and its nice to hear
from gardeners from other lands. We all have the same interests and we
generally all try to help each other where we can. Nice.
I'll bet gardeners don't blow each other up.......the odd weeds thrown over
the fence maybe, but terrorism ?.......Nah !
Best Regards everyone.

vsop

Old 26-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Well, original words, anyway.

Harold - you keep posting stuff with no added content.

Old 26-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Harold Walker

His wife looked mortified and said " I
think they were bombed in the war, dear", to which he hastily replied "I
meant, England has never been attacked within living memory".////////I
somehow understood it was short term memory that one has problems with

Janet.

Old 26-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Kay

In article , Harold Walker
writes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Harold Walker
writes

" I suggest you either see for yourself, or take your views from someone
who has been here for more than 'a couple of weeks'.

Suspect I saw more of the UK in a couple of weeks than most English folk
see
in a year....from Lancahsire to Yorkshire to Bristol way and point in
between and then bcak over to the east coastal area before taking in the
south shore....H

I think you are confusing 'travelling a long way' with 'seeing a great
deal'.

Kay...do not forget that I have been to England every two years since 1951

OK, I apologise.
In that case, I just think you are wrong ;-)

--
Kay

Old 26-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Harold Walker

OK, I apologise.
In that case, I just think you are wrong ;-)me think not...also agreed
with by a few I met over there...aint like it used to be and will never be
the same.....you and I have lived during the better years of the UK...the
same applies to the usa...from one stubborn Yorkshireman to a stubborn
Yorkshirewoman.

--
Kay

Old 26-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Martin Brown

Harold Walker wrote:

" I suggest you either see for yourself, or take your views from someone
who has been here for more than 'a couple of weeks'.

Suspect I saw more of the UK in a couple of weeks than most English folk see
in a year....from Lancahsire to Yorkshire to Bristol way and point in
between and then bcak over to the east coastal area before taking in the
south shore....H

You are completely clueless. Just because Americans have a parochial
myopic attitude of "out of state out of mind" doesn't mean that we do.

You saw the derelict wasteland band in close proximity to railway lines.
There are planty of nice parts of the UK. Recently municipal parks have
finally made a comeback after being annihilated by Thatcher along with
the railways which are still bordering on unserviceable.

Nostalgia just isn't what it used to be.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 26-07-2005, 09:37 PM
Harold Walker

OK, I apologise.
In that case, I just think you are wrong ;-)

--
Kay

p.s. Did your Bayberry seeds ever germinate......I now have at least fifty
growing well...H

Old 26-07-2005, 09:39 PM
Harold Walker

You are completely clueless. Just because Americans have a parochial
myopic attitude of "out of state out of mind" doesn't mean that we do.

My passport says I am an Englishman