Old 26-07-2005, 09:59 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Harold Walker wrote:

You are completely clueless. Just because Americans have a parochial
myopic attitude of "out of state out of mind" doesn't mean that we do.

My passport says I am an Englishman

Unlikely. It may say "British citizen", "Citizen of the United
Kingdom and Colonies" or whatever, but I don't believe that there
has ever been a time when passports specified Englishness.

However, please don't assume that I am supporting the person to
whom you responded, because he ought to know better.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-07-2005, 10:04 PM
Mike Lyle

Harold Walker wrote:
OK, I apologise.
In that case, I just think you are wrong ;-)me think not...also
agreed with by a few I met over there...aint like it used to be

and
will never be the same.....you and I have lived during the better
years of the UK...the same applies to the usa...from one stubborn
Yorkshireman to a stubborn Yorkshirewoman.

(You've upset the colour-coding in my QuoteFix, but not to worry.)

You needn't worry about people getting extra dole for having a dog:
nice urban myth, though. The Daily Mail might even give you money for
it!

Mike (not a Yorkie, but I can see the attraction sometimes: I very
much admire my b-i-l and Fred Trueman, frixample. Gritty booggers.
Oh, forgot Lesley Garrett -- when she was down at one stage, her
mother sent her some Yorkshire grit in an envelope).

Old 26-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Harold Walker

, but I don't believe that there
has ever been a time when passports specified Englishness.

However, please don't assume that I am supporting the person to
whom you responded, because he ought to know better.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

My apologies Nick.......to be specific it says "British Citizen" and unlike
the British National have the right to abode in the UK....must be more
careful with the watchful eyes yonder.....H

Old 26-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Harold Walker

Mike (not a Yorkie, but I can see the attraction sometimes: I very
much admire my b-i-l and Fred Trueman, frixample. Gritty booggers.
Oh, forgot Lesley Garrett -- when she was down at one stage, her
mother sent her some Yorkshire grit in an envelope).

What on earth is Yorkshire grit? Have heard of Hominy grits but not Yorkie
ones

Old 26-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Sacha

On 26/7/05 18:40, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Just spent a couple of weeks in what once was "Great Britain".....would
not give tuppence for living there now....it aint what it used to be and
not by a long shot....I used to love to ride the trains to see the
beautiful
looking gardens at the back of the houses along the railroad tracks....no
more....most of them looked ugly with huge weed patches and broken down
greenhouses etc....looks as tho the pride that once was there has gone
elsewhere....

American visitors on trains telling Brits all about Britain, you have
to laugh.

Last week I was sitting on a train to Glasgow reading the latest news
about London attacks and an apparently middle-class, educated,
well-dressed American tourist said "say, we've been in two
security-evacuations here in Scotland since we arrived on the 5th, but
everyone was completely calm....we don't understand it. Aren't you folks
scared of bombs?" I replied something about nothing new, IRA on the
mainland, Blitz etc. He looked at me blankly and said "But England has
never been attacked before". His wife looked mortified and said " I
think they were bombed in the war, dear", to which he hastily replied "I
meant, England has never been attacked within living memory".

Janet.

That's a bit like the American tourist who went round Windsor Castle and
asked why they built a castle so close to the airport. (True story)
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 26-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Harold Walker

That's a bit like the American tourist who went round Windsor Castle and
asked why they built a castle so close to the airport. (True story)
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

That must have been the brother of George Bush....runs in their family

Old 26-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Chris Bacon

Harold Walker wrote:
Mike someone wrote, perhaps:
I very much admire my b-i-l and Fred Trueman, frixample. Gritty
booggers. Oh, forgot Lesley Garrett -- when she was down at one
stage, her mother sent her some Yorkshire grit in an envelope).

What on earth is Yorkshire grit?

'S a bit like "True Grit", or "British spunk". Keep a stiff
lip, man. I'm sure someone will come up with a supposedly
witty but really boring reply to this.

Oh, there's an outside chance that someone was referring to
stuff that millstones are made out of, or something. Ne'r mind.
Old 26-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Suspect I saw more of the UK in a couple of weeks than most English
folk see
in a year....from Lancahsire to Yorkshire to Bristol way and point in
between and then bcak over to the east coastal area before taking in the
south shore....H

I think you meant you saw more of England than most English see in a
year (a somewhat strange claim; how in the space of two weeks do you
know what "most" English do in 52? ). But your little trip round just
*one* country doesn't really count as seeing "more of the UK".

Janet.
Old 27-07-2005, 09:16 AM
Harold Walker

Harold - you keep posting stuff with no added content.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Good morning.....a 'senior moment' Rusty....accidentally clicked on send
when I meant to click on delete....sorry about that...my fingers aint what
they used to be.....H

Old 27-07-2005, 11:39 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:
Harold - you keep posting stuff with no added content.

Good morning.....a 'senior moment' Rusty....accidentally clicked on send
when I meant to click on delete....sorry about that...my fingers aint what
they used to be.....H

Nor are mine, but it's from lack of practice, really...

Old 27-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Scott L. Hadley

"Kay" wrote in message

I suggest you either see for yourself, or take your views from someone
who has been here for more than 'a couple of weeks'.
--
Kay

Thanks. I think I remember you from my earlier (late 90's) browsing this ng,
and I know that you are indeed someone who's been there for more than a
couple of weeks! Our previous two weeks there were just about the best of my
life; visited more gardens and antiquities than I ever imagined existed,
and I can hardly wait to do it again, this time with our son. A few
favourite places will need revisiting, and then we'll expand into new
territory, farther north and east. Gardens and native British vegetation are
first with me, but of course there's so much else, mile for mile, a rich
island indeed.

Scott

Old 27-07-2005, 01:41 PM
BAC

"Harold Walker" wrote in message

OK, I apologise.
In that case, I just think you are wrong ;-)me think not...also agreed
with by a few I met over there...aint like it used to be and will never

be
the same.....you and I have lived during the better years of the

UK...the
same applies to the usa...from one stubborn Yorkshireman to a stubborn
Yorkshirewoman.

Isn't it an almost universal truth that every generation tends to wax on
about the 'good old days' and opine that 'things ain't what they used to
be'? Change is inevitable, so it's true that things will not be what they
used to be, but not necessarily that the net change has been for the worse
(although I still think they were wrong to do away with steam trains,
trolley buses, DDT and gas lamps, of course).

Old 27-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Harold Walker

"Scott L. Hadley" wrote in message

"Kay" wrote in message

I suggest you either see for yourself, or take your views from someone
who has been here for more than 'a couple of weeks'.
--
Kay

Thanks. I think I remember you from my earlier (late 90's) browsing this
ng, and I know that you are indeed someone who's been there for more than
a couple of weeks! Our previous two weeks there were just about the best
of my life; visited more gardens and antiquities than I ever imagined
existed, and I can hardly wait to do it again, this time with our son. A
few favourite places will need revisiting, and then we'll expand into new
territory, farther north and east. Gardens and native British vegetation
are first with me, but of course there's so much else, mile for mile, a
rich island indeed.

Scott

The landscape remains as beautiful as ever....in my personal opinion one of
the finest of places to visit....my first message was decrying only a small
segment of a beautiful country.....back in the forties the allotments I
looked at a few weeks ago were a paradise unto themselves....not so any
more...a disgrace to the gardening world....as just said, a small
segement.....H

Old 27-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Mike

Barrowcloth on her high horse :-((

Does well for Anglo/American relationships.

In the words of a net nanny who used to rule this newsgroup and others ....
"I THINK NOT"

Neither did he when he was caught in the men's toilets. yuk ;-((

Mike
Who never knowingly tells lies :-))

Old 27-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Harold Walker

"
I think you meant you saw more of England than most English see in a
year (a somewhat strange claim; how in the space of two weeks do you
know what "most" English do in 52? ). But your little trip round just
*one* country doesn't really count as seeing "more of the UK".

Janet.

If you know anything at all about logistics you would readily see/know that
the majority of the UK residents (English + permanent interlopers) see very
little of the UK in a year...they just do not have the money....perhaps
someone like you might have the 'lolly' to roam around but there are many
that do not live in such luxury and scrape from hand to mouth each
week....no different in this country......over a lifetime I suspect I might
have seen more of England than you have me love....a roaming on foot thru
the lake districts on one trip of a month...riding a bicycle from the
Portsmouth area to Plymouth and then via a winding route to York on another
one of my trips over yonder.....that is just for a start.....H