Old 28-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Harold Walker

I have restored your post, to remind you what your hot air boast was
about.

Janet

do you mean I have at last joined your company??????

Old 28-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Harold Walker

..

Janet

For Gods sake woman get a grip !
Your anti-English, anti-America vitriol is oozing from every post. Harold
has not made a single insulting criticism against Britain or anything
British in any of his postings, he's merely made some nostalgic comments
and observations......which I, being a septuagenarian, working class and
poor, find valid and generally true. As an outside observer, as an ex-pat
and as a frequent visitor he is well qualified to make comment on his
mother country.
Stop being so bloody pedantic, utterly trite and downright nit-picking
antagonistic.
And that some Americans should have the brass-necked gall and impertinence
to actually speak to you in a train.... in Glasgow yet ! God
preserve us !

Spoken like a true Brit.

Old 28-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Harold Walker

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from martin contains these words:

Another piece of crisp guinea
pig crackling and a glass of elder flower wine?

Please save me the guineapig skins, everyone..I'm sewing them
together to make myself a moose.

Janet.

From some of the comments I have seen perhaps the m on moose should be
replaced by an N....apologies for this one...not usually my style but once
in a while I do stray.

Old 28-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Harold Walker

"
Dear Ebenezer; if you want to know all about hills, look out of a
train window as it passes through a cutting. Those steep uplands on
either side of the track will give you a pretty good idea what Scotland
looks like. Especially if it's raining.

Janet

seems to me much of this series started off with a train ride

Old 28-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Harold Walker

. IMHO, Americans most desperately do need to go abroad, to appreciate
that the rest of the world and its experience is far vaster and more
diverse than their country. Staying home in their own familiar culture
rut does not equip them for the world-role they pursue.

Janet.

In this I thoroughly agree...if they did they would have had a far greater
understanding of the mid-east....even in my short stay in Bagdad many years
ago I got a feeling for 'things' over there.....bad move on Georgy Boy's
part...great pity Tony went along with him....in a way tho suspect he really
had little choice when one takes into consideration the 'money angle' and
how closely the two countries are economically entwined.

Old 28-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:
In article , Harold Walker
writes

OK, I apologise.
In that case, I just think you are wrong ;-)

p.s. Did your Bayberry seeds ever germinate......I now have at least fifty
growing well...H

The answer to that is 'no' .... but I can't recall them at all now - I'm
wondering whether they arrived? - did I ever thank you for them?

hijack

I planted some pomegranate seeds and over them, seeds from a plant I'm
hoping is an oxlip, not just a cowslip/primrose hybrid. They are both
coming up together. I expected the pomegranates to take a bit longer...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 28-07-2005, 06:48 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Sue Begg contains these words:

In Peru last year I even tried roast guinea pig - it's actually rather
nice

I like South America, useful things may be discovered there. Guinea pigs
were introduced here first as a source of food. Runner beans, OTOH, were
first planted for the scarlet flowers.

Old 28-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

/snip/

Rusty will be along with a recipe in a minute.

You heard me inserting the spit?

Old 28-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

I've never understood people who spend large amounts of money going
all the way to Peru, when you can roast guinea pig in your back garden
in the cold & pouring rain in a biting northerly gale at home for far
less. :-)

Rusty will be along with a recipe in a minute.

LOL But it would take a fair amount of landscaping to provide the
'little hills'

Especially in the Netherlands :-)

But it might solve the problems of rising sea-levels. There'd be a
really fine fishing pit in the middle, too.

Old 28-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

Think in terms of Peter Brough and Archie Andrews.

Very good on the wireless, I thought ...

Lips going in unison not so noticeable?

Old 28-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from "BAC" contains these words:
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

I hope they won't. Back in the good old days in 1950's industrial
Lancashire winters were blighted with thick filthy smog.

But, looking on the bright side, there was very little black spot on the
roses in urban gardens in those days :-)

But on the downside, roses in urban gardens were usually garish
HTs(sticks for half the year) and mildewed ramblers. :-(

Hum, while we had a lovely pink mildewed rambler, inherited HTs, we also
had a bed of Poulsen polyanthas which were a gift from the grower - his
daughter trained as a physioterrorist with my mother.

Old 28-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

hijack

I planted some pomegranate seeds and over them, seeds from a plant I'm
hoping is an oxlip, not just a cowslip/primrose hybrid. They are both
coming up together. I expected the pomegranates to take a bit longer...

I grew a pomegranate from a seed a few years ago, and it makes a
good patio plant, but I haven't got it to flower. It is too much
to ask to expect fruit here :-(

Returning to the thread, and your style of interruption, you are
aware that a pomegranate was one of the slang words for a British
style hand-grenade in the North African campaign?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

hijack

I planted some pomegranate seeds and over them, seeds from a plant
I'm hoping is an oxlip, not just a cowslip/primrose hybrid. They

are
both coming up together. I expected the pomegranates to take a bit
longer...

I grew a pomegranate from a seed a few years ago, and it makes a
good patio plant, but I haven't got it to flower. It is too much
to ask to expect fruit here :-(

Returning to the thread, and your style of interruption, you are
aware that a pomegranate was one of the slang words for a British
style hand-grenade in the North African campaign?

Further still, the things are actually named after pomegranates in
the first place. Memories of old Granada!

--
Mike.

Old 28-07-2005, 08:07 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
[...]
grower - his daughter trained as a physioterrorist with my mother.

Better than the one my daughter referred to as "Physio the rapist". I
told her we were lucky he wasn't a psycho.

--
Mike.