Old 29-07-2005, 08:15 AM
Paul Giverin

Default Phonetic plant names

I was just about to post here asking if anyone knew of an online guide
to phonetic pronunciation of plant names. After many years of gardening,
I still manage to embarrass myself in front of friends and colleagues
with some of my pronunciation

Anyway, before posting I did another "google" and came up with this:-

http://tinyurl.com/cexua

.... which I hope someone else might find useful.

--
Paul Giverin

Old 29-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Broadback

Paul Giverin wrote:
I was just about to post here asking if anyone knew of an online guide
to phonetic pronunciation of plant names. After many years of gardening,
I still manage to embarrass myself in front of friends and colleagues
with some of my pronunciation

Anyway, before posting I did another "google" and came up with this:-

http://tinyurl.com/cexua

... which I hope someone else might find useful.

Thanks Paul, I find that useful. For years I thought it was "cotton
easter" until someone put me right! :-)

--
All replies to this email address are deleted on receipt.

Common sense, not common market.
Old 29-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Bob Hobden

"Paul Giverin" wrote
I was just about to post here asking if anyone knew of an online guide to
phonetic pronunciation of plant names. After many years of gardening, I
still manage to embarrass myself in front of friends and colleagues with
some of my pronunciation

Anyway, before posting I did another "google" and came up with this:-

http://tinyurl.com/cexua

... which I hope someone else might find useful.

Thanks Paul, I bought a book many years ago to help with the pronunciation
of plant names after I came across an orchid called " Coelogyne cristata"
and realised I hadn't a hope of making a reasonable stab at it. ( correctly
koy-LO-gin-ee but commonly see-LO-gie-nee KRIS-tah-ta)

Problem then is, do you pronounce it the correct Latin way, with "C" being
hard, or use the commonly accepted way with a soft "C"? :-)

Still, if everyone understands what you are on about there isn't a problem.
--
Regards
Bob

Old 29-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

| Thanks Paul, I bought a book many years ago to help with the pronunciation
| of plant names after I came across an orchid called " Coelogyne cristata"
| and realised I hadn't a hope of making a reasonable stab at it. ( correctly
| koy-LO-gin-ee but commonly see-LO-gie-nee KRIS-tah-ta)
|
| Problem then is, do you pronounce it the correct Latin way, with "C" being
| hard, or use the commonly accepted way with a soft "C"? :-)
|
| Still, if everyone understands what you are on about there isn't a problem.

Try Passiflora xiikzodz. I kid you not.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Bob Hobden

"Nick Maclaren" wrote after

"Bob Hobden" Wrote:

| Thanks Paul, I bought a book many years ago to help with the
pronunciation
| of plant names after I came across an orchid called " Coelogyne
cristata"
| and realised I hadn't a hope of making a reasonable stab at it. (
correctly
| koy-LO-gin-ee but commonly see-LO-gie-nee KRIS-tah-ta)
|
| Problem then is, do you pronounce it the correct Latin way, with "C"
being
| hard, or use the commonly accepted way with a soft "C"? :-)
|
| Still, if everyone understands what you are on about there isn't a
problem.

Try Passiflora xiikzodz. I kid you not.

At a guess Pa-si-flo-ra zeek-zods ?

Old 30-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Paul Giverin" wrote
Thanks Paul, I bought a book many years ago to help with the pronunciation
of plant names after I came across an orchid called " Coelogyne cristata"
and realised I hadn't a hope of making a reasonable stab at it. (

correctly
koy-LO-gin-ee but commonly see-LO-gie-nee KRIS-tah-ta)

Problem then is, do you pronounce it the correct Latin way, with "C" being
hard, or use the commonly accepted way with a soft "C"? :-)

Still, if everyone understands what you are on about there isn't a

problem.
--
Regards
Bob
In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London

Well as I understand it the original setting up of plant names in Latin it
was agreed internationally that the pronunciation of the Latin words would
reflect the way the locals in a particular country would pronounce the same
letter combinations.
With such huge regional variations in this country over simple words I have
no idea how that was supposed to work, I am thinking of the word water,
half the country would rhyme it with cat while I and the other half stick an
R in it and rhyme it with war! Fat chance that we were all going to agree on
Latin plant names :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 30-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Kay

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

Well as I understand it the original

Original? ICBN? Linnaeus? pre-Linnaeus?
They've had latin names for a good long while, since Latin was the
international language of scholars.

setting up of plant names in Latin it
was agreed internationally that the pronunciation of the Latin words

would
reflect the way the locals in a particular country would pronounce the

same
letter combinations.

Hmm ... I wonder what they reckoned people with languages who didn't
have those letter combinations (ore even any letters) were going to do?

--
Kay