GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Caterpillar on Streptocarpus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/100713-caterpillar-streptocarpus.html)

Ted 30-07-2005 10:00 AM

Caterpillar on Streptocarpus

we are having problems with small caterpillars eating the flowers and
leaves.

no matter how many of these ********s we remove they still keep coming.

can we spray without damaging flowers and leaves and if so what spray do you
recommend

dj

Pam Moore 30-07-2005 11:47 AM

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 08:00:57 +0000 (UTC), "Ted"
wrote:

we are having problems with small caterpillars eating the flowers and
leaves.

no matter how many of these ********s we remove they still keep coming.

can we spray without damaging flowers and leaves and if so what spray do you
recommend?

I've never encountered this. There cannot be a bottomless pit of
caterpillars. They must be hatching from somewhere. Search for eggs
on the plant.What do they look like? Eventually the influx must
stop.

Pam in Bristol

Ted 30-07-2005 01:16 PM

wrote:

we are having problems with small caterpillars eating the flowers and
leaves.

no matter how many of these ********s we remove they still keep coming.

can we spray without damaging flowers and leaves and if so what spray do
you
recommend?

I've never encountered this. There cannot be a bottomless pit of
caterpillars. They must be hatching from somewhere. Search for eggs
on the plant.What do they look like? Eventually the influx must
stop.

Pam in Bristol

They are very small, 2mm diameter x 10mm to 15mm long. No eggs in sight,
only plenty of droppings.

They look like the small shoots that appear between the fork of the flower
stems. This is their camouflage.

We appear to be getting towards the end as we have been removing them over a
week now. Approx 3 per day.

Caught a larger one today perhaps an adult.

dj

pammyT 30-07-2005 02:30 PM

"Ted" wrote in message

We appear to be getting towards the end as we have been removing them over

week now. Approx 3 per day.

Caught a larger one today perhaps an adult.

You are joking right? :0)
An adult caterpillar is a moth or butterfly.

Tumbleweed 30-07-2005 08:03 PM

"pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net wrote in message

"Ted" wrote in message

We appear to be getting towards the end as we have been removing them
over

week now. Approx 3 per day.

Caught a larger one today perhaps an adult.

You are joking right? :0)
An adult caterpillar is a moth or butterfly.

LOL! And sadly, probably not :-(

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Simon in Sydney 16-01-2019 10:48 PM

Caterpillars on Streptocarpus

Did any one find a solution to this? (By the time I find them they have already done the damage.)