Old 31-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Tickettyboo

Default Total numpty at gardening , has a question regarding clematis

Would like to know please, what is the minimum depth of container to
grow a clematis in? I have seen ones labelled 'suitable for containers'
on the web, but they forgot to say what dimensions the container should
be. I assume its important, but also assume that people are expected to
know this sort of stuff. Unfortunately , I don't :-)

--
Ticketty᧧

Old 01-08-2005, 07:50 AM
Harry

"Tickettyboo" wrote in message
Would like to know please, what is the minimum depth of container to grow
a clematis in? I have seen ones labelled 'suitable for containers' on the
web, but they forgot to say what dimensions the container should be. I
assume its important, but also assume that people are expected to know
this sort of stuff. Unfortunately , I don't :-)

--
Ticketty᧧

Hi Boo,

You get yourself about a bit, all I can say is that I have my clematis in
15" by 10" deep pots for the last five years, without any problems.
If you don't know much about clematis you always plant them a little deeper
than normal, and put some small stones round the base of the plant.( it
stops the baddies getting at the root ball)

Harry

Old 01-08-2005, 07:50 AM
Jollygreenp

We have one in a plastic troughdimensions about 8 inches by 8 inches by
20inches. The cleamtis is planted in the trough in about 7 inches of
moisture retentive coir compost. We have then put 5 inch pots of fern
on top of the compost surface to stop evaporation. I water every day
and feed about twice a week. The plant has climbed up a a 6 foot
trellis and is now running along the washing line. It had covered
about 5 foot of line and now I have turned it back on itself so it
doesn't take up the whole line. It is now winding back along the line
and looking really strong. It is an autumn flowering clematis and
should be coming in to flower soon. I am expecting it to look fairly
spectacular when it does flower.

So to summarize, the size of your container probably will not matter
too much as long as you water and feed regularly. Go for a similar
volume that I am using and you should probably be OK.

Old 01-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Tickettyboo

In oups.com,
Jollygreenp whispered softly in my ear...:
snip

So to summarize, the size of your container probably will not matter
too much as long as you water and feed regularly. Go for a similar
volume that I am using and you should probably be OK.

Thanks, will have a go, nothing ventured, nothing gained :-)

--
Ticketty᧧

Old 01-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Tickettyboo

In ,
Harry whispered softly in my ear...:
"Tickettyboo" wrote in message
Would like to know please, what is the minimum depth of container to
grow a clematis in?

Hi Boo,

You get yourself about a bit,

Oi! No need to go telling all these nice, helpful people my secrets!
:-)

all I can say is that I have my
clematis in 15" by 10" deep pots for the last five years, without any
problems. If you don't know much about clematis you always plant them
a little
deeper than normal, and put some small stones round the base of the
plant.( it stops the baddies getting at the root ball)

Cheers Harry I don't know much about gardening, full stop. Will give it
a go though and see what happens. Maybe if it goes wrong I can just
format and reinstall? g

--
Ticketty᧧

Old 01-08-2005, 09:27 AM
BoyPete

Tickettyboo wrote:
Would like to know please, what is the minimum depth of container to
grow a clematis in? I have seen ones labelled 'suitable for
containers' on the web, but they forgot to say what dimensions the
container should be. I assume its important, but also assume that
people are expected to know this sort of stuff. Unfortunately , I
don't :-)

Hi Boo As has been said by another poster, regular watering is a must for
a potted Clematis. You can't find even a 'little' bit of ground to put it
in? I beleive they like their head in the sun, feet in the shade.
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 01-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Tickettyboo

In ,
BoyPete whispered softly in my ear...:
Tickettyboo wrote:
Would like to know please, what is the minimum depth of container to
grow a clematis in?

Hi Boo As has been said by another poster, regular watering is a
must for a potted Clematis. You can't find even a 'little' bit of
ground to put it in?

No, not where I want it . I want minimal in the garden-y bit and pretty
on the patio bit :-) May not suit everyone, but its what I want..LOL you
know me, I may not know the 'how-to' but I do know what I want :-) The
watering isn't a problem, and Mr Next-Door will do it if ever I go away
on holiday.

I beleive they like their head in the sun, feet
in the shade.

Thanks Pete

--
Ticketty᧧

Old 01-08-2005, 09:48 AM
Mike

The watering isn't a problem, and Mr Next-Door will do it if ever I go away
on holiday.

We have no problem either because we have super neighbours all around us,
but has anyone experimented with the bucket of water and the wet cloth over
the side arrangement and how does it equate with size of bucket v size of
cloth over time?

Mike

Old 01-08-2005, 08:06 PM
ned

"Mike" wrote in message
The watering isn't a problem, and Mr Next-Door will do it if ever I

go away
on holiday.

We have no problem either because we have super neighbours all

around us,
but has anyone experimented with the bucket of water and the wet

cloth over
the side arrangement and how does it equate with size of bucket v

size of
cloth over time?

Oh, I'd say that having good neighbours wins hands down every time.
:-)

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk