Old 30-07-2005, 02:56 PM
mutley

Default Stihl hedgecutter

Re. earlier message about power equipment: nothing found

I have a Stihl HS85 hedgecutter which starts OK and runs strongly, it does
the work but tends to stall if left to idle. Then it won't restart. I've had
the plug out and it does seem a bit oily (after failing to restart) but not
at all carbonised. As a visit to service centre is a 60 mile round trip
twice I'd rather fix it myself if possible.
Help or a pointer to a website with info about power equipment would be
useful.
--
Any help TIA
Please reply to Newsgroup

Old 31-07-2005, 09:38 AM
[H]omer

mutley wrote:

I have a Stihl HS85 hedgecutter which starts OK and runs strongly, it does
the work but tends to stall if left to idle. Then it won't restart. I've had
the plug out and it does seem a bit oily (after failing to restart) but not
at all carbonised.

Dirty carb or air filter(s) or both.
Bad/wrong oil mix.
Empty the tank and clean the whole thing. See your local garage for the
correct cleaning fluids (soapy water for the air filters). While you're
there get fresh 2-stroke and check the proportions (usually 50:1 - but
you *will* need to know for sure).

Then again, maybe something's just worked loose - again the mech. at the
garage might help.

--
[H]omer

Problem with cats in your garden?
Try this: http://img169.exs.cx/img169/6382/kitten8va.jpg
Old 31-07-2005, 09:43 AM
mutley

Thanks for the help.
I've been using Stihl oil at 40:1 as I don't have a user manual and it's
quite old. The newer Stihl machines I know use 50:1 but I also have an old
AV15 chainsaw which uses 25:1.
The other thing that was puzzling is that the HS85 only has a single
'High/Low' mixture adjusting screw - all my others have two separate ones. I
think I need to locate a user manual.

Old 02-08-2005, 07:56 AM
Mike

"mutley" wrote in message
Thanks for the help.
I've been using Stihl oil at 40:1 as I don't have a user manual and it's
quite old. The newer Stihl machines I know use 50:1 but I also have an old
AV15 chainsaw which uses 25:1.
The other thing that was puzzling is that the HS85 only has a single
'High/Low' mixture adjusting screw - all my others have two separate ones.

think I need to locate a user manual.

If you would like to look on ebay, you will see a couple of machines for
sale. Possibly one of the sellers would oblige with a copy of the manual or
copy of parts thereof, OR, bid for one or both and you have spares. One is
at £1.00 with 4 days to go.

Good luck

Mike