Old 02-08-2005, 03:36 PM
david taylor

Default poplar suckering

Poplars are notorious for throwing up suckers and their vigorous surface route system is a problem close to buildings
We had a largish tree-70ft within 20yards of the house, which was throwing up suckers within 10ft of the house and at other parts of the garden.
We cut it down in February this year and as you might expect suckering is stronger than ever.
We can deal with these, they are obvious on the lawn but in a hedge or amongst trees they can get to quite a large size before they are noticed.
Is there any way of terminating their activity or is it going to be a year on year attrition?
The original stump is still in the ground.
Regards
David T

Old 02-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Mike Lyle

david taylor wrote:
Poplars are notorious for throwing up suckers and their vigorous
surface route system is a problem close to buildings
We had a largish tree-70ft within 20yards of the house, which was
throwing up suckers within 10ft of the house and at other parts of
the garden.
We cut it down in February this year and as you might expect
suckering is stronger than ever.
We can deal with these, they are obvious on the lawn but in a hedge
or amongst trees they can get to quite a large size before they are
noticed.
Is there any way of terminating their activity or is it going to be

year on year attrition?
The original stump is still in the ground.
Regards
David T

I'm afraid most or all of the suckers will have to be treated as
separate trees; and, of course, the sooner the better from your point
of view.

--
Mike.

Viburnum Suckering Stacy Kanan Gardening 2 01-07-2011 03:58 PM
Clematis cirrhosa suckering Jeff Layman[_2_] United Kingdom 3 24-08-2010 10:35 AM
viburnum suckering Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 9 29-10-2009 03:07 PM
suckering quinces 0tterbot Australia 5 21-09-2007 10:14 AM
hamamelis arnold promise suckering pete_J-T United Kingdom 0 06-02-2005 09:42 PM