GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How large is a 7 litre pot? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/100942-how-large-7-litre-pot.html)

Lynda Thornton 04-08-2005 10:33 AM

How large is a 7 litre pot?

Hi

Can anyone tell me the approx diameter and height of a 7 litre pot? I
would like to have an idea before I order something in case it is too
large and heavy to move easily!

Thanks :)

Lynda

Nick Maclaren 04-08-2005 11:37 AM

In article ,
Lynda Thornton writes:

| Can anyone tell me the approx diameter and height of a 7 litre pot? I
| would like to have an idea before I order something in case it is too
| large and heavy to move easily!

Typical compost/soil has a specific gravity of between 1 and 2.

Remember that a litre of water weighs a kilogram, a litre is
a 10 cm cube and the area of a circle is about 3/4 of the area
of a square with the same side as the diameter.

A 7 litre pot will be c. 30 cm (1') across and will weigh from
3 to 6 Kg (7 to 14 pounds), depending on wetness etc.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick Maclaren 04-08-2005 11:40 AM

In article ,
Lynda Thornton writes:

| Can anyone tell me the approx diameter and height of a 7 litre pot? I
| would like to have an idea before I order something in case it is too
| large and heavy to move easily!

Typical compost/soil has a specific gravity of between 1 and 2.

Remember that a litre of water weighs a kilogram, a litre is
a 10 cm cube and the area of a circle is about 3/4 of the area
of a square with the same side as the diameter.

A 7 litre pot will be c. 30 cm (1') across and will weigh from
7 to 14 Kg (15 to 30 pounds), depending on wetness etc.

[ Corrected for brain-rot - ignore a previous response. ]

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Charlie Pridham 04-08-2005 07:03 PM

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
Hi

Can anyone tell me the approx diameter and height of a 7 litre pot? I
would like to have an idea before I order something in case it is too
large and heavy to move easily!

Thanks :)

Lynda

No idea how many inches they are, but I use 7.5 and 10 lt pots for clematis
and they are easy to move around with standard bark based compost in, even
one handed.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

David W.E. Roberts 04-08-2005 07:22 PM

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
Hi

Can anyone tell me the approx diameter and height of a 7 litre pot? I
would like to have an idea before I order something in case it is too
large and heavy to move easily!

Thanks :)

Lynda

First pass - 5 litres is just over a gallon, so a 5 litre pot should be
about as big as a fuel can for the lawnmower.

Just looked at my small bag of compost from Sainsburys (about the same size
as a Grobag) and that is 25 litres.

So a 7 litre pot is about 1/4 to 1/3 the volume of a Grobag - so it should
be O.K. to move easily (depending on your build, age, state of back etc.).

HTH
Dave R