GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Leaves Turn Yellow & Fall Off - HELP!!! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/101042-leaves-turn-yellow-fall-off-help.html)

sburgess63 06-08-2005 08:40 AM

Leaves Turn Yellow & Fall Off - HELP!!!

The Leaves on my Chilli plants are turning yellow and falling off, starting at the bottom of the plant. This only started happening when I repotted them using a mixture of General Purpose potting soil from a Gardening store and fairly sandy soil with quite high clay content from the local countryside (Mix 50% store bought soil/50% local soil).

I repotted 7 days ago today and I've watered twice, once on potting day and again 3 days later with no feeds or additives. There are no apparent pests on the plants and apprt from the yellowing the plants look great, bear fruit and are continuing to grow.

Please advise asap.

Kay 06-08-2005 09:49 AM

In article , sburgess63 sburgess6
writes

The Leaves on my Chilli plants are turning yellow and falling off,
starting at the bottom of the plant. This only started happening when I
repotted them using a mixture of General Purpose potting soil from a
Gardening store and fairly sandy soil with quite high clay content from
the local countryside (Mix 50% store bought soil/50% local soil).

I repotted 7 days ago today and I've watered twice, once on potting day
and again 3 days later with no feeds or additives. There are no apparent
pests on the plants and apprt from the yellowing the plants look great,
bear fruit and are continuing to grow.

No leaves last for ever, and the older leaves, which are at the bottom
of the plant, will go yellow and drop off. How many leaves are you
losing? If you are gaining leaves at the top at the same sort of rate,
no problem.
--
Kay

sburgess63 06-08-2005 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kay
[...]

Hi Kay.
I have some chillis in another, larger pot that were planted at the same time but not repotted and their leaves are dark green.

With the repotted chillis the yellowing seems to be "creeping" up the plants.

Someone suggested magnesium what do you think? Where would I get some? Any Ideas welcome.

Reagrds,
Stu

Kay 06-08-2005 10:11 PM

In article , sburgess63 sburgess6
writes

I have some chillis in another, larger pot that were planted at the
same time but not repotted and their leaves are dark green.

With the repotted chillis the yellowing seems to be "creeping" up the
plants.

Someone suggested magnesium what do you think? Where would I get some?
Any Ideas welcome.

Assuming you potted them in bought compost, it's very unlikely to be a
lack of any mineral in the soil

And I wouldn't expect that to show up in as little as 7 days.
--
Kay