GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Gazania dead heading help needed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/101112-gazania-dead-heading-help-needed.html)

Draven 07-08-2005 07:51 PM

Gazania dead heading help needed

Is there a sure fire way of telling a spent gazania flower and one that is
about to open.

peterlsutton 07-08-2005 09:23 PM

Is there a sure fire way of telling a spent gazania flower and one that is
about to open.

I afraid I cannot help you - but it is nice to see that others have this
problem with some plants. I do and I thought I was being stupid.

Perhaps this is one of the arguements for dead heading daily. You catch
them as they are going over.

Peter

Chris Hanson 07-08-2005 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draven
Is there a sure fire way of telling a spent gazania flower and one that is
about to open.

The obvious one is to wait and watch it. If it doesn't open then you know that you can cut it off!

Alastair 08-08-2005 08:49 AM

Not exactly 'sure fire', but the spent flowers tend to have battered
looking petals. The new buds look very tidy....

Draven 08-08-2005 09:17 AM

"Alastair" wrote in message
ups.com...
Not exactly 'sure fire', but the spent flowers tend to have battered
looking petals. The new buds look very tidy....

I was noticing this myself.
Thanks

Draven 08-08-2005 09:20 AM

"Draven" wrote in message
. uk...
Is there a sure fire way of telling a spent gazania flower and one that is
about to open.

I'm on holiday all week. So I'm going to tag a bud and watch it every day to
see the flowering cycle.
Might even take some pics every day.