Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Lol

Default New to gardening

I have just discovered that the big area outside at the back is called a
garden - my wife has kept it secret from me until now - but having retired I
decided to explore beyond the conservatory door - I am amazed !!

After accidentally breaking a few of the pretty red Geraniums and sticking
them back in the ground I was astonished .... they GREW !! Is it always so
easy I wondered ?

Anyway - the first job is to try and identify what I have got - the Fuschia
were fairly easy, as were the Geraniums and Snapdragons (Antirriniums ?) -
my grandfather was a professional gardener and as a small child I often
helped him (or maybe he babysat me :-) - but I did remember a few things -
even after 50 years. I have decided to leave the shrubs and trees for now -
but the Eucalyptus looks intyeresting (nothing else could smell like that)
as does the Rosemary (I split this into 4 as it looked very cramped - and it
hasn't died yet after a week) - a rather gangly straggly plant with a
pleasant smell (oranges maybe ?) has me beaten - about 18 inches high, lots
of reddish stems with rounded triangular leaves, some of which are turning a
very attractive crimson colour at the edges - with small white flowers, 4
petals and a very prominent central errr... half-inch long catkin-like
protrusion with yellowish bits. I cannot find any identification guide on
the net - maybe someone here can help. Anyway I have broken it into 4 clumps
and given it a bit of space.

Enough for now - as I cannot see a FAQ anywhere and may be completely in the
wrong place.

Any newbie type help would be much appreciated - particularly why my newly
acquired plants are only half the size of the lady next door's ?

kind regards

Lol Middleton