Old 11-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Peter Donovan

Default Winter Flowering Cyclamen

I have had a good show of these plants over the winter months grown in large
tubs.How would one treat them after the flowering season has ended ?Do you
dig them out like a bulb and dry them out?

Please help as they are so healthy plants I would not like to loose them.
Thanks

Old 11-03-2003, 09:48 PM
Rod

"Peter Donovan" wrote in message
I have had a good show of these plants over the winter months grown in

large
tubs.How would one treat them after the flowering season has ended ?Do you
dig them out like a bulb and dry them out?

Please help as they are so healthy plants I would not like to loose them.
Thanks

They respond best to being allowed to do their own thing. You probably want
to do something else with the container during the summer so if you can -
leave the cyclament to die down naturally - they are dormant during the
summer months, then dig them out and plant them somewhere in reasonable
light and preferably protected from excessive winter wet. Around the bottom
of a big tree or on a bank is nice - they should naturalise and get better
every year in such a spot.

Rod

BTW if you or anybody else want more of those and other Cyclamen at
reasonable prices, good quality and not stolen from the wild go to Ann and
Les Cordes at
http://www.hardycyclamen.com/cyclamen1/index.html

No connection with me I'm just a happy customer.

Rod

Old 11-03-2003, 10:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rod wrote:

"Peter Donovan" wrote in message
I have had a good show of these plants over the winter months grown in

large
tubs.How would one treat them after the flowering season has ended ?Do you
dig them out like a bulb and dry them out?

Please help as they are so healthy plants I would not like to loose them.
Thanks

They respond best to being allowed to do their own thing. You probably want
to do something else with the container during the summer so if you can -
leave the cyclament to die down naturally - they are dormant during the
summer months, then dig them out and plant them somewhere in reasonable
light and preferably protected from excessive winter wet. Around the bottom
of a big tree or on a bank is nice - they should naturalise and get better
every year in such a spot.

Hang on. WHICH cyclamen? He could well be talking about C. persicum,
which might survive outside where you are but wouldn't have an earthly
here. C. coum does fine, in the rain shadow of a tree or house, and
C. hederifolium might well, too.

[ To Peter Donovan: the large flowered cyclamen that you grow indoors
are C. persicum. Small ones can be almost anything. ]

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 11-03-2003, 11:47 PM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message

In article ,
Rod wrote:

[...]

Well not if they've been flowering through the winter. They would have
to be C. coum, wouldn't they? C. hederifolium stopped flowering some
time ago and so have most of the other hardy ones like C. mirabile. .
Unless, of course, they're C. persicum in a warm sheltered spot.

Janet G
Old 12-03-2003, 08:24 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson writes:

| Hang on. WHICH cyclamen? He could well be talking about C. persicum,
| which might survive outside where you are but wouldn't have an earthly
| here. C. coum does fine, in the rain shadow of a tree or house, and
| C. hederifolium might well, too.
|
| [ To Peter Donovan: the large flowered cyclamen that you grow indoors
| are C. persicum. Small ones can be almost anything. ]
|
| Well not if they've been flowering through the winter. They would have
| to be C. coum, wouldn't they? C. hederifolium stopped flowering some
| time ago and so have most of the other hardy ones like C. mirabile. .
| Unless, of course, they're C. persicum in a warm sheltered spot.

Unless they had been grown under artificial conditions for the
Christmas market. There were a fair number of small flowered
cyclamen in my local garden centre then, and it was unclear what
they were.

Old 12-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Rodger Whitlock
writes

I drafted a rather grouchy message pleading for the use of a more
precise name than "winter flowering cyclamen" but deleted it on
the grounds it was *too* ill-tempered for a pleasant newsgroup
like URG.

Perhaps, in view of the teapot sized tempest that has arisen, the
OP will take the time to look up pictures of C. coum, C.
persicum, and their cousins and then tell us exactly what he
meant in the first place.

I thought of replying and didn't, on the grounds that 'winter flowering
cyclamen' meant that he probably had got some of those small-flowered
cyclamen hybrids which almost cope with a british winter in a warm city
centre, and which first appeared only a few years ago and are now a
staple feature of commercial window box displays. Poor chap hasn't much
chance, as the GCs only ever label them 'winter flowering cyclamen', and
I guess to all but the most enthusiastic gardener, one cyclamen looks
much like another.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 12-03-2003, 07:13 PM
Rod

"Nick Maclaren" wrote

Hang on. WHICH cyclamen? He could well be talking about C. persicum,
which might survive outside where you are but wouldn't have an earthly
here. C. coum does fine, in the rain shadow of a tree or house, and
C. hederifolium might well, too.

You're quite correct in pointing that out. In my innocence I assumed he meant C. coum but as you and others have pointed
out if he bought from outside a greengrocer's or from yer average garden centre it was very probably one of the
miniature F1 hybrid series of C persicum allegedly hardy but which are not hardy except in abnormal winters like this
last one and then only in favoured areas. I do wonder what makes the growers produce these things - it certainly isn't
money, I've seen them offered by the greengrocer for as little as 50p - how much does the grower get out of it I wonder?
I just hope unfortunate experiences with the imposters don't scare people away from the real ones.

Rod

Old 12-03-2003, 09:35 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Rod
writes

You're quite correct in pointing that out. In my innocence I assumed he meant C.
coum but as you and others have pointed
out if he bought from outside a greengrocer's or from yer average garden centre
it was very probably one of the
miniature F1 hybrid series of C persicum allegedly hardy but which are not hardy
except in abnormal winters like this
last one and then only in favoured areas. I do wonder what makes the growers
produce these things - it certainly isn't
money, I've seen them offered by the greengrocer for as little as 50p - how much
does the grower get out of it I wonder?

Well, they are *tiny*. The art to all these things seems to be getting
them into flower abnormally early - just as you get chrysanths and roses
which look like bushy plants covered in flowers, and which turn out to
be half a dozen barely rooted cuttings ;-)

Old 13-03-2003, 01:46 AM
Hussein M.

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:37:22 -0000, "Rod"
wrotc:

BTW if you or anybody else want more of those and other Cyclamen at
reasonable prices, good quality and not stolen from the wild go to Ann and
Les Cordes at
http://www.hardycyclamen.com/cyclamen1/index.html

No connection with me I'm just a happy customer.

Ditto about the happy customer bit .. but this time it's in
extolling the service of :-

http://www.rareplants.co.uk/

They have some rather wonderful species Cyclamen which aren't
offered by Willows (inc persicum).

Rather expensive (Av. £4.50 per plant) - but nice to have one as a
little secret in a corner. C. repandum looks interesting, is hardy and
would reveal it's secret corner in that it stays in flower longer than
the others.

If the OP would like a little read about growing Cyclamen, this is
from their site:

These are hardy and half-hardy species. In the garden most of the
species that we offer (don't extend this rule to others that we don't
sell!) enjoy a well-drained leafy soil in light shade. Under such
conditions hederifolium seeds freely, whilst cilicium, coum, mirabile
and pseudibericum will self-sow more modestly. In the open garden,
place the top of the tuber about 3cm deep, and add a surface layer of
leaves or fir / pine needles. Leaf growth will die away completely in
the summer, this is normal, they appear again in autumn or spring
depending on the species.

Under glass tender species such as graecum and rohlfsianum are best
grown in pots, but ensure that they are frost-free since even garden
hardy species will die if their pots are frozen through and their
tubers frozen. A loam based compost with added drainage such as John
Innes compost No3 is ideal. Potted plants can have their tubers at the
surface or just buried.

We can send Cyclamen out at almost any time of the year, although we
may have to remove their leaves (to prevent rotting in transit) when
they are sent out "green" over the winter. They come to no harm and
grow again at the appropriate time of the year.

Hussein
Grow a little garden
Old 13-03-2003, 01:46 AM
Hussein M.

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:17:59 +0000, Kay Easton
wrotc:

I thought of replying and didn't, on the grounds that 'winter flowering
cyclamen' meant that he probably had got some of those small-flowered
cyclamen hybrids which almost cope with a british winter in a warm city
centre, and which first appeared only a few years ago and are now a
staple feature of commercial window box displays. Poor chap hasn't much
chance, as the GCs only ever label them 'winter flowering cyclamen', and
I guess to all but the most enthusiastic gardener, one cyclamen looks
much like another.

In passing .. Rarepants have something to say about the Cyclamens
you buy in GC's. :-

Even without the moral objections, wild dug cyclamen rarely do well in
gardens. They have been dug up in perhaps February and transported
around in a dry state, by donkey and lorry, until they arrive in you
local chain store or garden centre. They finally reach the gardener in
maybe October, having been dry all of the time that they have been
shipped around Europe. They rarely thrive, usually struggle and
eventually fade. Wild cyclamen are still much in evidence in many
garden centres and shops in the UK and probably elsewhere.

Bulb nurserymen, the target of much misplaced venom have been
exemplary and most, if not all, offer propagated plants. The Multiples
and chain stores are the overlooked villains of the situation and are
still selling wild corms. If I name names they will probably sue me,
but do have a careful look at any cyclamen in polythene bags hanging
on racks in your local DIY chain store or garden centre. As recently
as September 2001 I was still able to find irregular, pock and stone
marked cyclamen, 14cm in diameter and clearly wild-dug, in a major
garden centre some 10 miles from Wrexham.

Hussein

Grow a little garden
Old 14-03-2003, 08:53 AM
Peter Donovan

Thanks to all concerned for your help on the subject matter,this is the
first time that I have used this News Group,Yes between you you have
described the variety of Cyclamen that I have got and the way to look after
them
I will take Rod's advice. No I am not a complete novice when it comes to
gardening,my orchids that I have raised from the sterile jars that I
purchased in Madeira a few years ago are doing well likewise my bonsai trees
that I am now growing from seed are also doing well
Again thanks for all the help on cyclamen it was quite a debate Cheers

Old 14-03-2003, 08:53 AM
Rod

"Hussein M." wrote

Wild cyclamen are still much in evidence in many
garden centres and shops in the UK and probably elsewhere.
as September 2001 I was still able to find irregular, pock and stone
marked cyclamen, 14cm in diameter and clearly wild-dug, in a major
garden centre some 10 miles from Wrexham.

I saw some in a garden centre about 30 miles from Wrexham last autumn, so that's going to be some more folks
inadvertently helping that trade and getting moribund plants into the bargain.

Rod

Old 14-03-2003, 08:53 AM
Rod

"Hussein M." wrote
extolling the service of :-

http://www.rareplants.co.uk/

They have some rather wonderful species Cyclamen which aren't
offered by Willows (inc persicum).

Rather expensive (Av. £4.50 per plant) - but nice to have one as a
little secret in a corner. C. repandum looks interesting, is hardy and
would reveal it's secret corner in that it stays in flower longer than
the others.

But you should have included a health warning for those not familiar with Paul Christian's catalogue. It is likely to
lead to serious obsessive compulsive disorder and an incurable addiction to choice and beautiful plants.

Does he still discourage visitors to the nursery? I really would like to see the place - it wouldn't do any harm I'm
already hooked anyway.

Rod