GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   News reader? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/101346-news-reader.html)

David W.E. Roberts 13-08-2005 10:29 PM

News reader?

Hi,

I am getting fed up with all the crap Xposted here which OE can't really
deal with.

I am looking for a newsreader but my searches seem to turn up RSS style
readers instead of Usenet readers.

Anyone recommend a FREE Windoze Usenet newsreader?

I use PAN under Linux but there soesn't seem to be a Windoze variant.

I would rather not pay for the software unless I have to; Agent looks
O.K.but is $29.

Cheers
Dave R

Bob Hobden 13-08-2005 10:59 PM

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote
I am getting fed up with all the crap Xposted here which OE can't really
deal with.

I use OE and just put them in "Blocked Sender", takes but a second and they
are gone forever.

--
Regards
Bob

Alan Holmes 13-08-2005 11:49 PM

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote
I am getting fed up with all the crap Xposted here which OE can't really
deal with.

I use OE and just put them in "Blocked Sender", takes but a second and
they are gone forever.

That's exactly what I do and it's very effective.

--
Alan

Reply to alan (dot) holmes27 (at) virgin (dot) net

Ian Cummings 13-08-2005 11:55 PM

In message , David W.E. Roberts
writes

Anyone recommend a FREE Windoze Usenet newsreader?

Xnews, FreeAgent, Gravity, Xananews...

I use PAN under Linux but there soesn't seem to be a Windoze variant.

http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/re....14.2/WINDOWS/
--
Ian Cummings

Hugh Jampton 14-08-2005 12:01 AM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:29:11 +0100, David W.E. Roberts wrote:

Anyone recommend a FREE Windoze Usenet newsreader?

http://www.40tude.com/dialog/

HTH.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

David W.E. Roberts 14-08-2005 11:07 AM

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote
I am getting fed up with all the crap Xposted here which OE can't really
deal with.

I use OE and just put them in "Blocked Sender", takes but a second and

they
are gone forever.

I know, but I have got bored with doing it, and besides they often change
their ID.

With Pan I can just block anything posted to e.g. more than 3 NGs and nearly
all this dross goes away.

A while back there was a problem with X-posts from uk.rec.yorkshire - I
tried blocking all posts with this NG included, but I had to subscribe to
the NG and then delete everything with the NG in the header.
Very clunky.

Someone else pointed me to a Windoze Pan so I will go and look there.

Thanks
Dave R

David W.E. Roberts 14-08-2005 12:56 PM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:55:25 +0000, Ian Cummings wrote:

In message , David W.E. Roberts
writes

Anyone recommend a FREE Windoze Usenet newsreader?

Xnews, FreeAgent, Gravity, Xananews...

I use PAN under Linux but there soesn't seem to be a Windoze variant.

http://pan.rebelbase.com/download/re....14.2/WINDOWS/

Well, there you go.

Installed and working, and the first filter (posted to no more than 3 NGs)
has got rid of all the dross!

I just need to downsize the font and I'm sorted.

Cheers

Dave R

Pam Moore 23-08-2005 12:48 PM

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 02:06:49 +0100, Dave Poole
wrote:

If you do decide to get Agent (there is Free Agent, but it does not
have the filtering options) I can certainly recommend it. Kill filing
and X post management is simplicity itself, enabling you to avoid 95%
or more of the rubbish intended to annoy.

Dave, I have Forte Agent and the sortcut Ctrl + K brings up a Usenet
Filter box. Is it not part of Agent?

Pam in Bristol