GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Oxalis versicolour (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/101455-oxalis-versicolour.html)

diamond_skies 17-08-2005 08:19 AM

Oxalis versicolour

I ordered some oxalis versicolour bulbs from a mail order catalogue. From what I remember of the description, it said that it was a slightly tender plant. When I got the bulbs, a leaflet was included to say that they should really be grown in an alpine house, which I don't have. I thought I could overwinter them in my shed.

Does anyone here in the UK have any experience with growing this plant? I live near Belfast and while we don't have severe frosts, we do get a lot of ground frosts during the winter. I have the bulbs planted in compost in a terra cotta pot and they are growing but not very well. Do they need well drained soil like an alpine? Perhaps more water?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jane

[email protected] 17-08-2005 11:43 AM

Don't know about versicolour, but triangularis is described as semi
tender just as versicolour, but has been flowering every year for the
last 5 in my garden where it remains through the winter. Not grown in
any special soil etc. I'm in North Lincs

diamond_skies 24-08-2005 11:07 AM

Hi Mike

Thanks for the info. I might try leaving mine out in a sheltered spot over the winter and hope for the best. It is not doing well at the moment so I am not sure what to do except keep my fingers crossed!