Old 22-08-2005, 08:13 PM
WaltA

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:29:17 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
AFAICR there were no differences between the Shadow's internals and the
Rapide's.

choke of carb for one.
ummm, mist of time,, was it inch&1/8 for R and inch&1/4 for S ( or
perhaps it was inch&1/4 vs. inch&1/2 ?)
Compression ratio as well ( or was that just a progression of time
thing ? After all, I had just upgraded from an HRD. (as in HRD not
HRD-Vincent)
Hmmm, I may think of more, like wheel sizes varied quite a bit from
time to time and model to model ,,,,
Are 19" tyres still available I wonder, they were difficult to get
hold of at one time.

(Dammit, my Vincent book is still in store...)

All mine also, as are a lot of my old braincells :-(

Rapide was billed as a 'tourer' and the Shadow as a 'sports model'.

Exactly, I ref. hon. gent. to my post earlier about mudguards. gert
heavy steel things with skirts on the R.

Old 22-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Kay

In article , michael adams
writes

snipped deeply hurtful remarks and cutting asides
about whistles, sharks, lifebelts etc etc etc

PCTKB?
--
Kay

Old 22-08-2005, 09:27 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "michael adams" contains these words:
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "michael adams" contains these words:

Oh dear!

The depths some people are prepared to sink to, in order to prevent
themselves from looking total idiots.

I think we've all got your drift.

snipped deeply hurtful remarks and cutting asides
about whistles, sharks, lifebelts etc etc etc

Janet.

I very much doubt that, somehow.

You appear to be totally lacking in any sense of humour whatsoever.

/snip/

Now that's funny, coming from you.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 22-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from (WaltA) contains these words:
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:29:17 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

AFAICR there were no differences between the Shadow's internals and the
Rapide's.

choke of carb for one.
ummm, mist of time,, was it inch&1/8 for R and inch&1/4 for S ( or
perhaps it was inch&1/4 vs. inch&1/2 ?)

Dunno - the Shadow/Lightning had GPs you could crawl down.

Compression ratio as well ( or was that just a progression of time
thing ? After all, I had just upgraded from an HRD. (as in HRD not
HRD-Vincent)
Hmmm, I may think of more, like wheel sizes varied quite a bit from
time to time and model to model ,,,,
Are 19" tyres still available I wonder, they were difficult to get
hold of at one time.

Yes. The series D Shadow had a 2·25" × 20" front IIRC

(Dammit, my Vincent book is still in store...)

All mine also, as are a lot of my old braincells :-(

Rapide was billed as a 'tourer' and the Shadow as a 'sports model'.

Exactly, I ref. hon. gent. to my post earlier about mudguards. gert
heavy steel things with skirts on the R.

Well, the Black Prince had those. In fact, now you come to mention it,
mine was originally one of those enclosed thingies, later Shadowised
with ally guards, etc, then stuffed full of goodies.

Old 22-08-2005, 09:56 PM
Travis

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

Nick can explain the stats better than I, and I wish dear old
Franz were still with us to describe the physics, but I think
it's essentially correct to say it's a matter of what the
layman would call "averaging". A localised concentration does
nothing to detract from the principle applied globally; and,
very interestingly, according to catastrophe theory, may even
appear to produce a transitory effect _contrary_ to what a
global calculation would predict.

As demonstrated by the technology of paraffin refrigerators.

Even though I Googled for it I can't find how a paraffin refrigerator
works. Anyone?

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 22-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Mike Lyle

Travis wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

Nick can explain the stats better than I, and I wish dear old
Franz were still with us to describe the physics, but I think
it's essentially correct to say it's a matter of what the
layman would call "averaging". A localised concentration does
nothing to detract from the principle applied globally; and,
very interestingly, according to catastrophe theory, may even
appear to produce a transitory effect _contrary_ to what a
global calculation would predict.

As demonstrated by the technology of paraffin refrigerators.

Even though I Googled for it I can't find how a paraffin

refrigerator
works. Anyone?

Same as a gas one.

--
Mike.

Old 22-08-2005, 10:03 PM
WaltA

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:33:51 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
snip nostalgia for brevity, all noted.
Well, the Black Prince had those. In fact, now you come to mention it,
mine was originally one of those enclosed thingies,

I had a feeling that you might be talking about the later D series.
Ah yes, the one in skirts :-))
As you say, "originally", but like you most real riders soon undressed
her.
and that transparent plastic thing in front meant you didn't get flys
& bees in yer beard like what real riders were supposed to have ,
heheee.

later Shadowised with ally guards,

Yep, I mentioned those as well in that post I managed to misfire !
(and now lost to posterity)
There was also a fancy stainless set as well wasn't there?
Or were they other supplier add-ons ? Tut, how my brain doth fade !

My first were series B - HRD, cos they were cheap s/h ( nobody wanted
them ! can you imagine ha ! ) then later series C Vincent-HRDs

Oh drool. You'll have me weeping into my beer soon, stoppit :-)

Enough of this, go look at my tree bark pictures for your pennance

Old 22-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
martin wrote:
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:57:32 +0100, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:
Travis wrote:

Even though I Googled for it I can't find how a paraffin

refrigerator
works. Anyone?

Same as a gas one.

and for those who don't know ...

http://www.nh3tech.org/absorption.html

Ye gods! That explains why I was about to give the answer to how
one works: rather badly.

I had never looked up the physics before, but that isn't the sort
of technology that is ideal for the conditions we used them in.
Not field repairable? When transport from the nearest factory
takes several weeks? Not good news.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-08-2005, 05:33 AM
Travis

Mike Lyle wrote:
Travis wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

Nick can explain the stats better than I, and I wish dear
old Franz were still with us to describe the physics, but I
think it's essentially correct to say it's a matter of what
the layman would call "averaging". A localised
concentration does nothing to detract from the principle
applied globally; and, very interestingly, according to
catastrophe theory, may even appear to produce a transitory
effect _contrary_ to what a global calculation would
predict.

As demonstrated by the technology of paraffin refrigerators.

Even though I Googled for it I can't find how a paraffin
refrigerator works. Anyone?

Same as a gas one.

Since paraffin is a soild (isn't it) and gas is a gas I don't get it.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 23-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article DGxOe.10628$g47.7290@trnddc07,
Travis wrote:

Since paraffin is a soild (isn't it) and gas is a gas I don't get it.

Not at any civilised temperature, it isn't. It is a liquid. You
are thinking of paraffin wax. Also don't confuse (liquid) paraffin
with liquid paraffin :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.