Old 23-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes:

| The message
| from martin contains these words:
|
| On the web there is a report about somebody who is no more after he
| refilled a paraffin refrigerator with petrol.
|
| On the web there is a report of someone else he is no more after fitting
| his car with a JATO bottle and setting it off on a long, straight piece
| of road.
|
| But it's fiction.
|
| Though amusing.

Yes. The stories about people blowing themselves up by putting
petrol into paraffin equipment are not fiction, though. Not at
all.

Don't I know it! When I was about thirteen I bought a little petrol
stove from a sort-of early version of those cheapo goods shops you see
about now.

I took it down the garden and filled it as per destructions, and lit the
dribble of petrol in the reservoir on the top. The flame began to roar
in a most satisfactory manner, but I became alarmed as it reached
further and further out beyond the billycan I'd put on it.

I retreated. A few minutes later there was a loud *BANG*!, a
considerable pillar of flame, and the billy (with a couple of pints of
water in it) was hurled about ten feet away on a rainbow trajectory.

Now that was not even a paraffin stove. Well, after that it wasn't even
a petrol stove. The body of it was opened up like a flower, and I never
found the burner assembly.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 23-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Ali Hopkins" contains these words:

And sometimes, posters drift in and out too.... I was here at the dawn of
urs and voted for it, too. Then, RL got heck tick. But I like it here, so
I'll waft across now and then.

There'll always be a PP and a BA for you, and if we can find them,
biccies - oh, and a nice comfy sack of hardened cement to sit on.

But mind that nail on your cardy...

Never mind, there's a darned neegle and some wool somewhere in one of
those tobacco tins.

Old 23-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from (WaltA) contains these words:

On 23 Aug 2005 09:38:48 GMT,
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:
| | This is getting really weird.
| Nah. Try uk.rec.sheds.
| Pervert! :-)

Now, THAT'S unfair! I must stand up for the sheddies here.

Here ? Amongst us, now ?
shed
Can the minister explain how this was allowed to happen,
where were our border patrols?
Inside some huts drinking tea perhaps ? Consuming wild mushrooms
gathered from their gardens and compost heaps ?

Much more likely to be consuming tea and biccies, or PPs and BA.

What does the minister propose to do to rectify this situation.
I propose that he should immediately begin a program of super-shed
building to contain these miscreants.
In light of this dreadful dereliction of duty the minister should
consider his position !

This is the Shed's annual charabangbangbangbang outing. Usually we go to
uk.rec.motorcycles for a touch of culture, but it seems there's been a
change of plan this year.

They
aren't perverted, but are such independent thinkers that they have
little direct contact with the real world[*] or even uk.rec.gardening.

[*] As many authors have pointed out, the inside of ancient and
well-cluttered storage units, such as sheds and wardrobes, tends
to attach itself to other universes. Nobody knows why.

*WE* know why, but it is forbidden to diverge the secret.

Mass, that is why. An excess of mass. Eventually so much mass
accumulates that a black hole is formed and the shed collapses in upon
itself. If the last item added was not aimed directly into the centre,
but entered with some angular momentum, then a rotating black hole
will be formed which will then reappear (*) at any time (past or
future) at any place in any universe.
(*) as a white hole after losing some mass by Hawking radiation.

Some poor souls have even tried to use this as a worm-hole to other
places and times by incorporating an extra door in the shed and
attempting to traverse the shed-hole within its Schwarzschild radius.
This inevitably ends in tears.
/shed

This is
why things disappear and strange things appear in such units, and
accounts for the postings on uk.rec.sheds.

Hmmmm. I goove we need to kidnap this one and keep him to play with - he
has dangerous depths of esoteric nollij. Sort-of like a riddle within a
miss tree within an enema, all behind a screen of red checky curtings.

Old 23-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Whitedog

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:15:30 +0100, Bernard Peek
wrote:

In message , Ali Hopkins
writes

Hiya. Are you well?

Well,....

Apart from recently being declared a diabetic I'm OK. Or, as the
Digestive said to the Rich Tea -- mustn't crumble.

I've just been declared a diuretic but I reckon someone's taking the
p.....
--
.--~~,__
:-....,-------`~~'._.'

Old 23-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

No, it's a divided-by-a-common-language thing. Brit laymen use the
word "paraffin" for _kerosene_. Not as bad (from our pov) as the
French, who call it "pétrole"!

Ah, but they call petrol 'essence', which might be disastrous in a big
cake in a hot oven innit.

Old 23-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Over on alt.usage.english, it's spawned a whole range of derivatives,
including (hyphens are included or not according to house style):
Right-pond
Left-pond
Else-pond
Other-pond
Trans-pond
all of which lead to the expected forms with -ial, -ian, and -iality.
There are also _pondial_ and _pondiality_. I believe I was myself
responsible for the divergent adjectival form referring to Oceania,
_Antipondean_.

Since we often refer to South Africa, I am about to introduce _up-_
and _down-pond_ -- also, perhaps, confections of my own.

Something to ponder upon, I suppose, and for you to respond?.

Old 23-08-2005, 08:37 PM
WaltA

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:56:13 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
miss tree within an enema, all behind a screen of red checky curtings.

shhh!
keep your ulgar enema variations to yourself
and no airing of yer G string neither, behave,
there are ladies about
erm I think ?

Old 23-08-2005, 08:38 PM
coj