GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Where to get garden supplies from? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/101644-where-get-garden-supplies.html)

[email protected] 21-08-2005 02:32 PM

Where to get garden supplies from?

Hi,

I need to get lots of stuff for the garden but don't have a car. I
need:
* a shed
* trellis's (and supporting posts)
* paving stones
* cement
* decking
* weed matting
* lots of gravel

Does anyone know of a good place to get these online which will
deliver?

Thanks,
Ruth

Bob Hobden 21-08-2005 03:51 PM

Ruth wrote...

I need to get lots of stuff for the garden but don't have a car. I
need:
* a shed
* trellis's (and supporting posts)
* paving stones
* cement
* decking
* weed matting
* lots of gravel

Does anyone know of a good place to get these online which will
deliver?

Sounds like you need a local Garden Centre or Builders Merchant both of
which will be in your local Phone Book.

--
Regards
Bob

Kay 21-08-2005 04:44 PM

In article . com,
writes
Hi,

I need to get lots of stuff for the garden but don't have a car. I
need:
* a shed
* trellis's (and supporting posts)
* paving stones
* cement
* decking
* weed matting
* lots of gravel

Unless you are about 20 miles away from your nearest town, there are
alternative to on-line.

Builders merchants will usually deliver anything from half a tonne
upwards. That would certainly get the gravel, paving stones and cement
sorted.

then find a timber merchant type place that does fencing, and they'll
deliver all the wood stuff.

--
Kay

[email protected] 21-08-2005 04:54 PM

wrote:
I need to get lots of stuff for the garden but don't have a car. I
need:
Does anyone know of a good place to get these online which will
deliver?

I would have thought the cost of national delivery would be
prohibitive, except in very large volumes.

In this small town we have two local suppliers - Branch Bros and
Fenland - who will deliver in the town, and most of your material could
be had from a branch of Travis Perkins the builders mechants who
deliver from nearly every depot (get a trade card from them - then they
deliver FOC). Just outside town is the Waterside garden centre which
will also deliver, and only slightly further away the remarkable
Rassels nursery.

I can't believe we are unique in this regard. Almost all local traders
will have a large proportion of the customer base who don't have
transport.

If your problem is getting there to place an order, that might require
slightly more work - but I have found that a phone call will elicit
most services. Local traders have a lot to do to stay in business
these days, and are well aware of it.