GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   plum tree problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/101787-re-plum-tree-problem.html)

Jaques d'Alltrades 24-08-2005 08:51 AM

plum tree problem

The message
from contains these words:

/snip/

Is there any advantage to growing plums under glass

No.

or is this just
silly?

Yes.

What about growing peaches under glass?

That is done, and with some success, especially if they are trained
against a wall with a lean-to greenhouse attached.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

J Jackson 24-08-2005 10:23 AM

wrote:

: Anyway, that might not happen. I trusted an automatic timer to water
: it whilst I was away and I did not set a long enough watering
: duration. The soil is too dry and consequently the tree has shed its
: leaves. Is this very bad news, or will the tree recover and grow new
: leaves next year?

It might. It's worth looking after.

: Is there any advantage to growing plums under glass or is this just
: silly?

Depends on the variety. There are enough good varieties that crop well
outdoors that it seems a bit pointless to me